Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Portia »

Sorry, everyone ever, but you will never be as cool as Uchtdorf (hiked past East German border guards when he was, like, 10.) Or his teenage sister (jumped from a moving train).

So. Freaking. Legit.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Woah woah woah. I get most my conference news from newspapers, and apparently spouses are now encouraged to share Facebook or email passwords? Just no. :-| I value my privacy and I hope my future husband values his.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Eh, sometimes it's convenient to know each other's passwords. For example, my husband would take care of the tithing even when both of us were working. It was easier for me for him to just log in to see my payroll than to stop what I was doing to take care of it. There are logistical reasons to know email and Facebook also, but I can't think of specific reasons why right now.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, that talk said a lot of things about the ideal couple and I'm not sure if I agreed with them all. For instance it said something about putting your full efforts into dinner, which of course automatically made me feel guilty for not always making a nice meal. But I think it was supposed to be "here's some examples of what couples prioritize" rather than "here's all the stuff you need to do to be a perfect couple!"
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I regularly use Mr. Mico's accounts like Amazon and I always forget the password. He has told me so many times but I still always ask. Apparently we don't care enough to know each other's passwords, and it isn't like our computers are password protected anyway so really either of us could just jump on the other's computer and stalk away. I don't know if we are just uber trusting or couldn't care less. :) But I agree that the sharing passwords "counseling" is a little... intrusive? Like, that is a personal choice and so weird to talk about from a pulpit, IMO.

Whistler, I would have gotten so stressed if I heard counseling about putting full efforts into dinner! That's a good spin you've put on it, though. Hopefully that's more what he meant.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I didn't like the "share your passwords" advice either. I mean, Marduk won't even let me know the password to his computer, much less his personal accounts! : ) And I don't see much use for it anyway. Aside from practical things like what D5 mentioned.

Sharing passwords is better than having a joint account, though, at least where Facebook is concerned. Seriously people. Get your own accounts. It's weird.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I like the thought behind the password sharing: the "I have so little to hide from you that nothing you'd see here would worry you and here's a way to prove it" idea. But yeah, I like personal space, too. And I wouldn't like to have someone checking through my messages to make sure they're all fine--the reward for trustworthiness should be trust, you know?
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Sauron and I have known all of each others' passwords since we were dating, and we have a shared One Password account. But after a particular Board question that I don't think has posted yet, it seems like we're perhaps more open/lazy than other couples.

ETA: Strike that, it posted. Also, we don't wander into each others' accounts. We're just able to.
Last edited by krebscout on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

For some reason when I heard that part of the talk, I thought of it in a financial context (instead of with social media/email/etc). But I didn't get to hear all of the talk. I think with finances it's a great idea... both spouses should be able to see how much is in the checking account, or investments, or debts, or taxes, or what have you. I've heard of some husbands who won't let the wife know the finances, and of other wives who plead (willful) ignorance about how much they can really afford.

I'm pretty sure thatonedad and I have all our passwords - to everything - written out on a paper we keep with our important papers, as neither one of us is especially great at remembering them. So my husband could hop on my twitter if he felt like it, and I could read his gmail if I wanted to. It hasn't really come up in nearly 7 years of marriage, though.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'd rather have separate finances, personally.

(However, I will gladly rid myself of my hated maiden name, if that comforts the traditionalists.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Marx and I have a yours-mine-ours system of finances, where we each have a certain amount of what we call "tweaky budget" (due to his tendency to spend all his on things to tweak his computer) to spend on whatever we want, but the rest we share.

We also know each other's passwords for convenience, like several people have mentioned. But I think it's a dual-trust thing. I trust him to only log onto one of my accounts when he actually needs it. He trusts me enough not to feel like he NEEDS to read my private messages.

But I wouldn't fault any couple for doing either of these things differently. As long as there's trust in whatever it is, who cares?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Emiliana wrote:As long as there's trust in whatever it is, who cares?
People are different and that's okay!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I'm in a politics mood so I checked out Give Us Liberty: A Tea Party Manifesto from an audiobook library. I'm six minutes in and have already laughed four times. It doesn't help that the guy reading has one of the most condescending voices I've ever heard.

Also, apparently "Americans are genetically opposed to big government." Genetically. IT'S IN OUR BLOOD YOU GUYS.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

This is why you don't give out passwords before marriage. :) (Or at least, why I didn't.)

Also, the hovertext in this one.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

This is the best zombie story I have ever seen.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

mic0 wrote:
Emiliana wrote:As long as there's trust in whatever it is, who cares?
People are different and that's okay!
Hehe. I tell my students this about everything from race, religion, and sexual orientation to favorite colors and taco topics.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I came across this video as part of my research on Finnish folk music for my Finnish class. I am now addicted to Rajaton.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

awesome
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I assume you have already run across the leekspin meme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wnE4vF9CQ4
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Is she saying anything, or is it just a scat?