Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:somehow knowing that Petra is also a grad school dropout really comforts me :-)
Aww, well, you're both great, so I'm glad that's a comfort to you. (Did you know Misaneroth also dropped out?)
Whistler wrote:also I liked this quote "His plan is like a well-written RPG--as long as I make the best choices I can, things will turn out OK."
That is a great quote. :D
Violet

Post by Violet »

I enjoyed everyone's reminiscing on housing. I've been involved in the housing market indirectly for a long time (I cleaned a lot of student/family apartments) and seeing all of the ones I've been connected to was fun. Also, you can see the progression I've suspected for a long time (certain apartments share markets).
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Katya wrote:
Whistler wrote:somehow knowing that Petra is also a grad school dropout really comforts me :-)
Aww, well, you're both great, so I'm glad that's a comfort to you. (Did you know Misaneroth also dropped out?)
whaaaa he was also one of my favorite writers! Well, I guess I'm not a complete failure then! (yeah, I realize how stupid that sounds.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:
Katya wrote:
whaaaa he was also one of my favorite writers! Well, I guess I'm not a complete failure then! (yeah, I realize how stupid that sounds.)
No, it doesn't sound stupid. I've talked to Petra a bit about her decision to drop out and it's clear that while it was a very good decision in the abstract, it's also been very hard psychologically and emotionally in terms of self-identity and not feeling like a "quitter." (In her case, her realization that her program was a bad fit also roughly coincided with her marriage, which then made her even more stressed out because she really didn't want to be a Mormon girl who dropped out of school just because she got married. She actually stayed in her program for about a year after she knew she needed to quit, because of that timing issue.)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Regarding Kassidy's answer, I think it'll have to wait until the Heritage Halls buildings and the new Life Sciences building are done...
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

When we were deciding where to go for my husband's grad school, I looked at what the Board had to say about the various locations we were considering. If I had known of Brutus's hatred of all things Michigan, I would have been much less confused by http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/35074/. At the time I thought he might be serious. Fun to see all of his answers together here.

Poor, misguided soul.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

When I saw this question about what to do as a missionary teaching a gay married couple about the gospel, my first reaction was a giggle and does that person going on a mission honestly think they will find a gay married couple who hasn't heard what the LDS church teaches about gay marriage and they will actually want to learn more and get baptized? SO GLAD LJ RESPONDED INSTEAD OF ME! :) It was a very nice answer.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Haha, I'm glad you liked it. I have to admit that I also had the same thought as you...but I guess the scenario isn't impossible. :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:When I saw this question about what to do as a missionary teaching a gay married couple about the gospel, my first reaction was a giggle and does that person going on a mission honestly think they will find a gay married couple who hasn't heard what the LDS church teaches about gay marriage and they will actually want to learn more and get baptized?
This actually happened to a friend's son, although I imagine it didn't go very far. (Also, it was pre-Prop 8. And maybe they weren't legally married, but they did have kids.) His mom was pretty happy, though, because her son used to throw around words like "faggot," and she figured that maybe teaching a lesbian couple on his mission would make him think more carefully about using that kind of language.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Katya wrote: This actually happened to a friend's son, although I imagine it didn't go very far. (Also, it was pre-Prop 8. And maybe they weren't legally married, but they did have kids.) His mom was pretty happy, though, because her son used to throw around words like "faggot," and she figured that maybe teaching a lesbian couple on his mission would make him think more carefully about using that kind of language.
Hah, I'm somehow not even surprised this actually happened. That's an interesting story, too!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I haven't had time to comment about all the fantastic answers from the past couple of weeks, but let me just say how much fun the reunion tour was!
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72058/

Eirene's answer was excellent. So many times change happens when we are ready, and start asking the right questions that show it.
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72157/

THANK YOU. Hopefully getting some mad facts laid down by Eirene will help quell this single ladies panic epidemic.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72157/

THANK YOU. Hopefully getting some mad facts laid down by Eirene will help quell this single ladies panic epidemic.
How about parent panic? I'm moving across the country this summer and then graduating in August. My mom and I were talking and she said something like "None of the girls who have moved there have gotten married." She then went on to talk about the girls from my ward who have moved there and moved back to get married.

I just told her no one gets married after leaving BYU anyway (in scathingly sarcastic tones).
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:

How about parent panic? I'm moving across the country this summer and then graduating in August. My mom and I were talking and she said something like "None of the girls who have moved there have gotten married." She then went on to talk about the girls from my ward who have moved there and moved back to get married.

I just told her no one gets married after leaving BYU anyway (in scathingly sarcastic tones).
Hmm, my family is so opposite from everyone else's around here. Their instilling the fear of God in me about getting married too young worked perhaps too well.

Aren't you, like, 19?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Question about Sanderson's books and the women in them. These were good, interesting responses. I'm reading the Mistborn trilogy currently and have actually been wondering this very same question. I don't know, I liked Vin a lot more in the first book than in the second, I already feel like she is a little less... herself, but then again there is the whole issue of her changing identity within the story, so I guess that might be the point.

In other news, I brought the book to class and about three of my totally secular, definitely not LDS classmates commented that they love Sanderson. So, there's that.
Stego Lily

Post by Stego Lily »

Ahem. Ron Swanson and Dwight Schrute bffs forever. The mere suggestion made my day.

Also, I'm too lazy to link to the question. Apologies.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

mic0 wrote:Question about Sanderson's books and the women in them. These were good, interesting responses. I'm reading the Mistborn trilogy currently and have actually been wondering this very same question. I don't know, I liked Vin a lot more in the first book than in the second, I already feel like she is a little less... herself, but then again there is the whole issue of her changing identity within the story, so I guess that might be the point.
Yeah, I think she's a bit more fun in the first book, but you're right, one of her big struggles is figuring out who she is. I was very satisfied with the resolution of that particular part of her character arc. :)
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:
Violet wrote:

Hmm, my family is so opposite from everyone else's around here. Their instilling the fear of God in me about getting married too young worked perhaps too well.

Aren't you, like, 19?
20 nearing 21, but yes, I am still a baby in terms of dating and life experience.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72170/
yayfulness wrote:Look at small talk as an investment. It's like mining--you sift through a lot of boring dirt in order to find a small but valuable piece of gold.
The ever-quotable yayfulness strikes again. I have a number of friends who hate small talk and find it awkward, and I agree that small talk as an end leads to shallow interactions and stereotyping. But small talk isn't supposed to be an end; it's supposed to be a means to something better.