S versus Z

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Re: S versus Z

Post by Laser Jock »

Related: I was listening to NPR the other day and the segment from the BBC came on, and I noticed that one of the (obviously British) journalists used the word "issue" several times, but pronounced it /s/ instead of /ʃ/ ("sh"). I didn't realize that they said that differently than we do (or at least, in some British accents they apparently do).
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

British people also tend to pronounce 'schedule' with an /ʃ/ instead of an /s/ like Americans do.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

There are a couple of British students in my graduate cohort - anytime I talk with them, I get distracted by noticing how they say things. What's weird though is that is rubs off on me. I actually told one of them that I'd be done with my paper in a fortnight. And I almost always say goodbye to them with "Cheers!"
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Fortnight is such a wonderful word.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I should also add that I've been in Canada too long, since I have been reading the title of this thread as "ess" versus "zed".
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

The rest of the English-speaking world says "zed," as do the French. You Americans are the ones pronouncing it wrong ;P

Although I must admit, I don't get why "v" is "vee" and "z" is "zed." Sometimes I find myself wanting to call "v" "ved," and then I feel silly.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Maybe because "z" could potentially be mistaken for a "c"
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

V doesn't come from greek (or at least, its derivation from greek is rather less clear ... you've got u's and y's and w's making things very confusing).

Zed is becoming more normal for me, but it's still weird to hear it used in conversation. "A to zed". "due to x, y, and zed". My daughter singing the alphabet song and ending with zed. (I sometimes throw in zee at the end just to keep her on her toes (and because it rhymes much better!)).

When we first came to Canada, the customs official asked us if our Arizona license (er, licence) plate was A-Zed. I didn't understand him and told him "no, it's Arizona" and he was like "A-zed?" and I was like "No (you dummy) it's Arizona." And thus began my bad relationship with crossing the border.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Yarjka wrote:V doesn't come from greek (or at least, its derivation from greek is rather less clear ... you've got u's and y's and w's making things very confusing).

Zed is becoming more normal for me, but it's still weird to hear it used in conversation. "A to zed". "due to x, y, and zed". My daughter singing the alphabet song and ending with zed. (I sometimes throw in zee at the end just to keep her on her toes (and because it rhymes much better!)).

When we first came to Canada, the customs official asked us if our Arizona license (er, licence) plate was A-Zed. I didn't understand him and told him "no, it's Arizona" and he was like "A-zed?" and I was like "No (you dummy) it's Arizona." And thus began my bad relationship with crossing the border.
Hahahaha. Meanwhile, at BYU, we're doing math and I keep referring to the "zed-axis" and confusing everybody.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

You know, even if ALL the other English speaking world does something a different way, we still have a majority.
Deus ab veritas
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

According to Wikipedia, over a billion people speak English at some basic level in the least. Americans are not the majority of English speakers in the world.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

And, as I said, other languages also say "zed" too
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Zedability wrote:According to Wikipedia, over a billion people speak English at some basic level in the least. Americans are not the majority of English speakers in the world.
Oh, I assumed you were talking about English as a primary languagers.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

This entire thread is title bar worthy. And they're all voiced.