Birthday gift ideas

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Birthday gift ideas

Post by Katya »

A friend and I have had a tradition of exchanging birthday gifts for the last 8 years or so. The trouble is, I'm low on ideas for presents for her. We both like bookbinding and typography, so I've given her presents related to that in the past, but I feel like my last couple of presents have fallen flat. (I know that it's the thought that counts, but I'd like to give her a nice / useful / meaningful present, too!) I don't think she really needs more "stuff," but she also works full time and helps out her parents with their business, so she doesn't have a lot of free time for activity-oriented presents. I suppose that I could cruise her Pinterest and get inspiration there, but I don't have any way of knowing if she's already bought something she pinned for herself.

Any ideas?
S.A.M.

Re: Birthday gift ideas

Post by S.A.M. »

Depends on price range and proximity.

Within an hour or two:
Take her out to dinner at her favorite restaurant.

Far away:
Buy her a ticket to come visit for a weekend!

It seems like the older I get, the more I just want to spend time with friends/family/loved ones doing whatever, rather than receiving some item. That seems like the best gift to me. I know you're not really looking for an activity oriented gift, but helping her get away from it all could be awesome.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

no one is too busy to appreciate flowers! Or a cookie! It seems like something consumable to make her week special would be good.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Learn FontForge and make a font for your friend. Maybe not for this year. Maybe if you start now, you could finish one by next year.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I would peruse Groupon or Amazon Local for cool activities to do in her area (if you live near her, you could always do the activity together). That way she can try something new and she'll be able to schedule it for when she's available. See if you can find something she's never done before, or even something she's never considered doing before.

For Christmas my parents gave my husband and I a Groupon for a glass-blowing class and it was the COOLEST thing I've ever done. It's not something I've ever thought of doing, but we had a blast. It's hands-down the best gift they have ever given me.

And now that I'm thinking of it, check local venues for awesome upcoming shows (local bands or otherwise), or take her the roller derby. I ditto S.A.M. - my favorite gifts include doing fun stuff with my favorite people.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Buy her ANOMIA. It seems like a game you might like.

And that is the only thing that comes to mind.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

These are all fabulous suggestions. Thanks so much!

I've got a crazy couple of months coming up, so I might go the flowers route (which would be easier for me), but she does live close enough that we could go out to eat or do an activity together in the future. (And I've been thinking about designing a font, anyway, so maybe I'll make the one I want and then convince her I made it for her. ;) )
Portia

Post by Portia »

If there are any bands on this summer's rotation you enjoy, you two could go up to SLC for the Twilight Concert Series this summer. Only $5 each.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Portia wrote:If there are any bands on this summer's rotation you enjoy, you two could go up to SLC for the Twilight Concert Series this summer. Only $5 each.
+1

One of the best B-day presents I gave my wife was buying tickets for Dave Matthews. Her B-day is in March, the concert was in July. She was excited and happy and planning and thinking about it for 4 months.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Aaand then I went in a completely different direction and bought her some personalized journals from this place: http://www.maydesigns.com/

But the brainstorming was still very helpful for me, and I think I'll use some of your ideas next year.