Bad date stories - #72586

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

The Happy Medium

Bad date stories - #72586

Post by The Happy Medium »

My first date ever was a blind date with my friend and a different friend's boyfriend, let's call him Ken. Ken's family had a rule that you couldn't go on more than 2 dates in a row with the same person, presumably to keep him from getting a girlfriend in high school. He got around this rule but going on dates with girls from our group of friends. He also got around the "no dating before 16" rule by not actually going on dates with his girlfriend until she turned 16. Classy guy, right?

Well, word got out that I hadn't been on a date yet so I got invited along to one of these awkward friend dates. One of my close friends went with Ken and he invited his buddy to be my date. This friend was extremely shy so he said a total of about 5 words to me all night and our date consisted of going to the dollar theater for a movie, then coming back to my friend's house to watch another movie. The second movie was Undercover Brother and I felt bad for the laughing because both Ken and my date were black. I didn't realize what a crappy date it was until after the fact. It wasn't traumatizing in the least but I've certainly had better.

I'd love to hear everyone else's worst date stories.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Bad date stories - #72586

Post by NerdGirl »

Mine is contained in this thread from a few years ago:
http://www.theboardboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1501
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

This is not personally my worst date story, but I swear it really happened to my former roommate, as told by my other former roommate Hermia in this board question. Also, I might mention that Hermia told the watered-down version of the story. She got the main creepy points, but there were a lot of little creepy parts left out.

As for my own personal worst date story, it goes something like this:
There was a boy, let's call him Math Guy, who I knew my freshman year of college. We were in the same ward, and since we both had a love of mathematics, we talked periodically at church. Math Guy asked me out on a date, I accepted, we talked about thoroughly nerdy things, and I had to tell him it was ok to hug me at the end of the date because he was so nervous. I was used to getting dates with nerdy/awkward guys so that wasn't a problem. Fast forward to date #3 where he decides to go from afraid to hug me to "hello hands-on" in what seemed like a matter of minutes. Before i knew what was happening he had his arm around me while holding BOTH of my hands, though he did periodically let one hand go to stroke my face. Yeah, I was a little weirded out. I told him later that night that I wasn't really interested, a month or so later I started dating someone else, and a few months after that he left on a mission. I thought that was the end of that. I was wrong.

Let's skip ahead about 3 years. One day I get a facebook message from, that's right, math boy. He's off his mission and is just about to come back to Provo to start school again (he hasn't even made it to Provo yet). Math Boy wants to meet up for lunch, or something similar. Since I wasn't off campus all-day due to student teaching, I said it would have to be a dinner. He accepts. I am actually looking forward to the date because 1) a lot can change in 3 years and 2) I was craving some math/science smart company, and I knew he would provide that. The first 5 minutes or so were just that, intellectually stimulating conversation. Then we get to the restaurant where he refuses to let me open my own door to get out of the car. Ok, that's not too bad, a little unusual maybe. As we eat dinner, though I start to realize that this guy remembers a little too much about my freshman year, including classes I took and things I said. He tells me he served his mission in my home-area, and for a while lived right across the street from my high school. He told me about how he would often think about me and wonder if I was around while he was living there. He complimented me incessantly, which was starting to get old.

After dinner we went to a concert in the DeJong, and while waiting I found a yellow bobby pin on the ground. As I am wont to do, I started rambling about the color of bobby pins that I use. Math Boy was fascinated by my ramblings about bobby pins. Luckily, the doors finally opened and we could into the concert. For the entirety of the concert, my eyes were focused on the stage, Math Boy's eyes were focused on the side of my face. It was awkward. By this point I was ready to go home, and told him so after the concert. As we were driving home, he starts acting really nervous. Then he starts talking "I.I., I just wanted to tell you, I don't know if you know this, but you are the first person I ever gave a blessing to after I received the Melchizedek Priesthood." "Oh really, umm... I didn't know that." "I wrote about it in my journal and I went back and reread it in preparation for tonight. I just remember how spiritual you were, and how loving and concerned you seemed towards your friend. It was the most powerful spiritual experience I've ever had." (Just a note here: there was a night I thought one of my friends was going to attempt suicide, and hence the me freaking out and him giving me a blessing, since he happened to be in the apartment next door when I found out). I rambled on incessantly about how my friend was doing now in an attempt to make sure he didn't say something like "The spirit told me that you are so awesome, and we should get married" or something like that. Luckily he wasn't as awkward as some math guys are and he got the hint. I haven't heard from him since.

Maybe I denied a true spiritual prompting, or maybe I just prevented a little hormonal revelation. I guess I'll never know.

P.S. Sorry if this is too much of a novel, my mom and I both have the problem of speaking in paragraphs, not sentences.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Portia

Post by Portia »

I've been lucky: most my dates have ranged from OK to fantastic. A less-pleasant one involved social awkwardness, the hunch I'd be dating someone else soon, and long, creepy, Eastern European fingers. I managed to leave that one without him knowing either my email address or number!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

II, you reminded me of another story. Not actually a date, but I guy I danced with. My friends one time really wanted to go to an Orem Institute dance, so I went with them. This guy asked me to dance. I was trying to make conversation, but for the first half of the song, he just kind of stared at me weirdly and wouldn't talk. Then he finally said, "You're the first girl I've touched since I got back from my mission. I haven't even touched my mom yet." And then he went back to not talking and kind of ran away after the song was over.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

My worst date was with a boy in my country dancing class when I was 18. He asked me to a country dance (extra credit). I was not a fan of him, nor was I a fan of having to dance with him all night. In my journal I called him "repulsive boy" which was really mean of me. When we got home my roommate didn't tell me she thought I was mean to him, but I could tell she was thinking it.

His hands were so clammy and soft and I had to hold them all night...*shudder*

(He ended up dating a girl in my ward later on that semester, and while I was a little embarrassed to see him after being a bad date, I was mostly glad to find that he'd found someone to love.)
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

NerdGirl wrote:II, you reminded me of another story. Not actually a date, but I guy I danced with. My friends one time really wanted to go to an Orem Institute dance, so I went with them. This guy asked me to dance. I was trying to make conversation, but for the first half of the song, he just kind of stared at me weirdly and wouldn't talk. Then he finally said, "You're the first girl I've touched since I got back from my mission. I haven't even touched my mom yet." And then he went back to not talking and kind of ran away after the song was over.
Awkward.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

I had my fair share of awkward dates while at BYU, but I think the most memorable bad date took place the summer after high school with the guy I'd gone on several dates with already. We went down to President Faust's funeral (which sounds really weird out of context, but we were good friends, and his grandpa had been good friends with President Faust, so it wasn't that weird to me). At the end, while we were standing up while the family left, he collapsed onto the bench next to me due to heat and maybe some dehydration (though I thought it was a heart attack at the time). I pulled him up and a security guard whisked us out and began to ask us questions.

They took him to the hospital in an ambulance and told me to drive up and meet them there. Except that his car stopped working, so I had to walk. When they released him from the hospital, we were able to jumpstart his car and headed home. Except that we hit stop-and-go traffic near Bountiful, and his car decided to just stop. In the middle lane of I-15. We pushed his car off the side of the road and hitchhiked to the nearest exit to wait for a tow truck to get his car. While we waited for the tow truck guy, he told me that he loved me. I was not able to return his affections. And then his dad ended up picking us up and driving us the 90 minute drive, the whole time joking about him swooning. It was terrible.

And, of course, that's the abridged version. The unabridged version is on my blog, minus the declaration of love part.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Oh dear, these are hilarious. I've tried to block out some of my bad dating adventures. But there was one with a very nice guy who was maybe a little socially awkward. We were watching a movie with a bunch of his friends. He offered me some pop but didn't have any clean cups. So he brought out exactly one cup of Sprite in one of those liquid measuring cup things. You know, with the handle on one side and a little spout on the other. And I had to decide if I should drink from the spout or not. (I didn't.)

Another date (with a different guy) involved a very long hike during the hottest part of the day. And me drinking lots and lots of water. And eventually peeing in some bushes. The whole time I tried to think up some kind of non-awkward conversation to make when I got back, and all I could come up with was "I feel so much better now."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha, I don't have any good bad date stories--I didn't really get asked on many dates, and all the guys I dated were pretty nice guys. I did have one ex-boyfriend write to me on his mission to tell me he was finally over me, which I felt kind of bad about.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

The first real date I ever went on was with a guy I'd grown up going to church with. Right after my freshman year of college, I was home for a few weeks before spending the rest of the summer in Tanzania, and he called me up and said we should hang out. And I was like, yeah, for sure! Because I thought he meant that we should get together with all our old youth group buddies, and then by the time I figured out my mistake, I couldn't back out. So I pretended to play dumb and act like we were just hanging out as friends.

In line at Braum's, I very deliberately pulled out my wallet like I was going to pay. We went back and forth several times before he finally said, "Look, I'm paying, and this way it's a date!" (Crap.)

I called my best friend from the bathroom at the movies and she said, "When he drops you off, give him a side-hug and tell him, 'I'm so glad we're friends."

It wasn't a terrible date or anything, just a little weird because I really didn't want it to be a date...
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I had a blind date that went so badly that two weeks later I went to the same restaurant and the waitresses all recognized me as "The poor girl on that terrible date!" That was encouraging.

He and I met at the restaurant (which I'd never heard of or been to before and he refused to give me his cell number or directions, just a general "it's around these few blocks and kind of hidden" so I was late), we ordered, he did not engaged in ANY conversation and wouldn't even look at me. Despite being the only two people there, the waitresses took forever to bring us a check (they were apparently in the back alternated between deciding who had to go out to our bubble of awkwardness and discussing how it must have been a first date and they felt so sorry for me).

I had also baked him a pan of brownies because in our e-mail conversations leading up to the date he'd mentioned that was his FAVORITE thing and I thought it would be nice of me to bake him some since he was going very out of his way to meet me downtown for our lunch date. I handed him the pan of freshly-baked brownies (only a little half-pan and it was disposable) and he said, "I won't be able to get this back to you." And that is how you know there won't be a second date. Wait, no, I already knew that (o:

Don't worry though, when I visited the restaurant again all the waitresses came out to express sympathies and offer me free dessert. Luckily I was at lunch with my mom that time and she didn't believed me when I told her it was a terrible date, but after free dessert and tons of girls saying, "Oh, honey, I'm SO SORRY!" she realized I was maybe not exaggerating.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

Indefinite Integral wrote:This is not personally my worst date story, but I swear it really happened to my former roommate, as told by my other former roommate Hermia in this board question. Also, I might mention that Hermia told the watered-down version of the story. She got the main creepy points, but there were a lot of little creepy parts left out.
The teacher that I had for English my senior year of high school told me this story, which was about her. :o This is when I realize that the world is very small indeed. But we got all the creepy details. Apparently the last day of school was "tell random stories to your class" day, which the whole class was totally okay with. It definitely beat actually doing something with our time. She told us about how she met her husband, their engagement story, and then the topic turned to horrible dates which is when she told the story.

As for me, I don't have any interesting bad date stories. Sure, I've had awkward dates before, but they're really not that interesting. They mostly consist of me going places with guys from singles wards, me realizing my date is an awkward person to be around (and since I'm an emotional sponge, I was probably pretty awkward to be around too :| ) or not at all relatable to me, and then me never going on a date with them again. I suppose I haven't been on enough dates to have interesting stories to tell. :P
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I haven't really been on many dates...as in, I think I've maybe been on two casual dates. Maybe. I'm still not entirely sure.

But my most awkward date was definitely the one where I knew I was going to tell the guy I had been dating essentially that I breaking up with him. (It's a lot more complicated than that...) It was my fault that it was awkward--I was super distant and not willing to hold hands or anything and it was just uncomfortable. Knowing that I was gonna hurt him didn't help =P
Portia

Post by Portia »

Tally M. wrote:I haven't really been on many dates...as in, I think I've maybe been on two casual dates. Maybe. I'm still not entirely sure.

But my most awkward date was definitely the one where I knew I was going to tell the guy I had been dating essentially that I breaking up with him. (It's a lot more complicated than that...) It was my fault that it was awkward--I was super distant and not willing to hold hands or anything and it was just uncomfortable. Knowing that I was gonna hurt him didn't help =P
I don't think a breakup is a "casual date." I hope not!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Oh, I was excluding all of my casual dates =P
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

My dating life hasn't been too bad, considering. But one I went on freshman year got us planning "the most awkward group date ever" where each person would be paired with someone specific and sat next to someone else in order to maximize the discomfort.

The inspiration? My rebound date.

I met a guy (Boy) on a Saturday night. My boyfriend was out of town. I'd heard about Boy and how he was sort of a ladies' man. At least two girls I knew had major crushes on him. But I was missing my boyfriend, so I talked about him and just chatted with all my friends. The next evening when J got back to the dorms, he acted really weird, then said he needed to talk to me. Whereupon he dumped me. I had not been expecting it at all, he was my first boyfriend, and I had no idea what to do.

Fast forward two weeks: Divine Comedy tickets are on sale. I want to go, but I want to make it a date. I call my girl-friend who was planning on going with me (Roomie) and asked if she wanted to make it a double date. She says sure, I pick up four tickets, and try to think who I'm going to ask. I think of Boy, the one guy all the girls like. He's super nice and kind of cute, so while I don't have a full-on crush, I do like him a bit.

Night of the date, Boy, Roomie, Roomie's date, and I all meet in line and play card games. Suddenly, one of the girls who has a crush on my date shows up! We'll call her Crush. She sees us sitting on the floor, promptly joins us, and spends the evening flirting with Boy. So in the show, he's sitting between us, and I'm just embarrassed. I'm tired and emotional, barely enjoy the show, and don't know how to tell Crush that Boy and I are on a date.

Instead, when we get back to the dorms and everyone starts playing pool, I decide I can't deal with the drama and excuse myself to go to bed.

Weeks later, I'm talking to a friend of Crush. Turns out she'd dated Boy. They'd broken up about a month before I met him. So she knew things like the fact that he didn't know I'd broken up, so he was very confused when I asked him out. It also transpired that she had been planning on attending Divine Comedy that evening with some friends. But because she hadn't been able to make it, she gave her ticket to Crush.

Looking back, the series of coincidences and misunderstandings that created the evening is rather hysterical. At the time however, I felt terrible and never wanted to speak to Crush or Boy again in my life. Which would be unfortunate now, considering that Roomie married my ex-boyfriend and my best friend married Boy and we're all still friends with Crush.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.