Should I get the dirt on my new employer?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!

If a friend knows something bad about your new employer, do you ask for the details?

Yes - It's best to go in knowing as much as possible.
71%
No - The friend might be wrong and could prejudice you.
No votes
I'm not sure.
12%
Yes, but for other reasons
18%
No, but for other reasons
No votes

Total votes: 17

wryness

Should I get the dirt on my new employer?

Post by wryness »

I was just hired to work at a public school. I'm excited my job search is finally over; I've been looking for more than a month for a place to work. However, a friend of mine who works in the same school district specifically cautioned me earlier about this particular school (when I mentioned I'd applied for it). He didn't say why he didn't like it, but he said something along the lines of "be careful, but of course a job at that school is better than no job at all."

Well, the school called me back and offered me a job, and I need a job, and I felt OK about accepting the position. I've been praying beforehand that I would know when the moment came if it was OK to accept a job or not.

So, I'm going to try not to doubt my feelings, but I'm curious what you think (see poll above). My friend has pretty strong opinions, but he's also pretty levelheaded. Do you think it would be helpful for me to know why my friend so dislikes the school I'm going to work at? Or do you think that what he tells me might prejudice me unfairly against the school?

I'm curious to know why you think the way you do, or if you have any personal experience with this type of situation.
blpsara

Re: Should I get the dirt on my new employer?

Post by blpsara »

I didn't answer the poll...but mostly because I think it depends.

Are you the type of person whose view becomes colored by someone else's opinion? I don't mean that in a bad way. I think we all do it to some degree, especially if the information is coming from someone we like/respect.

or are you the type of person who will form your own opinions no matter what you've been told?

I can honestly see both sides.

On my side, I think I would rather go into it and form my own opinions and then approach the friend later if you are finding things you are concerned about, especially since you felt okay with accepting the job.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I vote yes, it's always nice to be aware of something that might cause a problem. But it's also important to keep an open mind and realize you're not getting the full story. Something that one person hates could have been just a one-time incident, or could be something that you will find actually works quite well.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Congrats on the job! Are you teaching?
wryness

Post by wryness »

Yep, I'm teaching! I actually don't know which grade(s) yet, since I was in such a tizzy to have a job.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Yarjka wrote:I vote yes, it's always nice to be aware of something that might cause a problem. But it's also important to keep an open mind and realize you're not getting the full story. Something that one person hates could have been just a one-time incident, or could be something that you will find actually works quite well.
Yes, you need more information. His concern could be about the students, the faculty, the administration, the facility, or the parents. You need to know so you can be, in his word, careful.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Elementary, middle, high?
wryness

Post by wryness »

UffishThought wrote:Elementary, middle, high?
High school.

Uffish, I wonder if you already know who I am? I'm not sure if I told you I was a teaching major when we had a creative writing class together, but near the end of it the Board came up and you told me you were a writer. (Not to deviate too much from the topic, of course...)

Also, blpsara, I think I am similar to you--I would probably not be TOO affected by what I heard, but I would probably want to just go in with a tabula rasa, so to speak, and form my own opinions.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I have a terrible memory. It's doubtful I know who you are. Sorry.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

wryness wrote:Also, blpsara, I think I am similar to you--I would probably not be TOO affected by what I heard, but I would probably want to just go in with a tabula rasa, so to speak, and form my own opinions.
It bothers me when people do what your friend did, hinting that there is some issue, but not elaborating. So often, what I imagine they may be hinting at is so much worse than the actual issue. It's like someone telling you to be careful on a certain trail through the jungle, but not explaining exactly why. So you wonder, and constantly scan the ground in front of you for snakes, pits, or other creepy things, and never see the huge web with the nasty spiders that you blunder into. Perhaps they want to tell you, but you insist they don't so you can enjoy experiencing the trail without any preconcieved notions, and the same situation occurs.

Knowing his concern doesn't mean you will automatically be influenced by it. Not knowing could be dangerous. You are aware of the bias you might have by knowing and that is commendable. Whatever the issue is, you can still go in with your opinions like a tabula rasa. Please, take advantage of other's experiences.
wryness

Post by wryness »

UffishThought wrote:I have a terrible memory. It's doubtful I know who you are. Sorry.
No problem. :)

Those are some good points, S.A.M.--and an interesting allegory. (Unfortunately, it reminds me of a reaaaaaaaally creepy story I heard in the MTC about terrifying spiders that live in the Amazon and catch deer and other, um, things to eat.)
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Oh, wait. It may have just suggested you on LinkedIn, which I finally caved and joined. Is your name NOT Ryan?
wryness

Post by wryness »

UffishThought wrote:Oh, wait. It may have just suggested you on LinkedIn, which I finally caved and joined. Is your name NOT Ryan?
Well, almost--not spelled that way. :) I just sent you one of those LinkedIn "connect" request things. (I only recently caved in and joined it, too.)

Good insights from people on the job thing! I will probably not ask my friend to explain his opinion yet on my school, but I might do it at some point when it's graceful for me to bring up (like when I get his opinion on organizing my classroom).