Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Genuine Article »

UffishThought wrote: It would be much more efficient, and much more grown-up of you to just knock on the door and ask my roommate if she could do her workout video another time.
I was in this situation, where some upstairs neighbors (a bunch of single guys) were routinely pounding on my ceiling late late late at night, and I'd lay there trying to sleep, not being able to, and gathering up my courage to go and talk to them about it. But I just knew that if I did I'd be playing out some sort of stereotype - the housewife who expects everyone in the city to go to bed at 10pm and bangs on the ceiling with a broomstick while her hair is in curlers.

But one night after months of this it was just too much, so I crawled out of bed and made my way up there to ask them to stop, only by the time I got there I was near tears I was so tired, and my carefully planned calm conversation went out the window. I was emotional, and sounded deranged, and all I could do was hold back tears and beg them to stop jumping up and down on my ceiling.

And then it all became 10 times more awkward when I realized that I recognized one of them. It was Just Another Cassio, and he was the one who'd been doing the jumping as he worked out. I think I'd met him briefly at a Board party once, back when my husband and I were dating. I didn't really know him, but I knew he knew my husband, and he definitely recognized me, and it was really really embarrassing to be playing out that scene with a semi-acquaintance as opposed to a faceless ceiling-pounding stranger that I'd never have to see again.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Yeah, and to be fair, I don't confront that same roommate about her late-night phone calls because I'm a social coward. But I'd like to think I'd man up and talk to her about it before I called the cops on her.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

All of my roommates and neighbors are awesome and/or old, so I generally don't have problems with them being noisy while I'm trying to sleep. I do sometimes have to give one of my roommates a heads-up right before I go to bed so she doesn't watch movies too loudly, but sometimes she has to do the same for me... it's all good anyway. :) I did have some pretty noisy neighbors living across the street from me while I was growing up, they used to blast their music at *gasp* 9pm! So late! I remember getting pretty annoyed at them, but never enough to go do something about it.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Digit

Post by Digit »

Today is National Doughnut Day. Apparently many Krispy Kreme establishments will give you one doughnut for free if the linked article is to be trusted with no purchase necessary. Dunkin' Donuts doesn't seem to have as much gusto for promotional offers, though a free doughnut with the purchase of a beverage is something.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

:( This liberal city where I live doesn't have Krispy Kreme. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (Or Dunkin' Donuts. All we have is an artisan donut shop (?!?!))
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I just started playing with this.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

mic0 wrote:This liberal city where I live doesn't have Krispy Kreme.
Hmm. What's the population of your city?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

About 97,000. The closest Krispy Kreme is an hour away. le sigh. :P
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

You don't need a Krispy Kreme! Their donuts are at least half air. :P
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Random wrote:I just started playing with this.
Hee! I might try that for a few days and see how I like it. I could use a little more structure and motivation.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Random wrote:You don't need a Krispy Kreme! Their donuts are at least half air.
That's why you can eat twice as many without feeling guilty!
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

UffishThought wrote:
Random wrote:I just started playing with this.
Hee! I might try that for a few days and see how I like it. I could use a little more structure and motivation.
That's why I started. Apparently I can be a lot more accountable to a website on the internet than to myself...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I started the HabitRPG last night! We should form a party.

Apparently there are something like 20 doughnut shops close to where Marduk's sister lives in Texas. Sadly, we only visited one of them while down there, and it was merely decent.

Best doughnuts I've had so far are Daylight (there are two in Pleasant Grove) and Macey's.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
wryness

Post by wryness »

If you still enjoy HabitRPG after a while, let me know. I am trying to think of incentives and this just might work for me, but I don't think I want to try it yet.
Digit

Post by Digit »

There used to be a place called Winchell's Doughnuts in Seattle a long time ago. Maybe it's still there. I haven't lived in Washington for a long time now.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I had lots of goals for self-improvement. Then the thermometer reached nearly 100 degrees and pretty much all I have the energy to do is surf the Internet and read novels. On the upside, I also have no energy to eat much.

I want to see how many days I can go without eating meat. Not that I think we should spare the animals out of humanitarian concern: eat them before they eat us! I just want to see if I can do it. It's day 3.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I went pseudo-vegetarian one year. It was cheaper, and I had a vegetarian roommate who I really enjoyed cooking with. It was kinda fun to see that I was ok without meat. But there are still very few things that beat a good grilled steak or BBQ chicken during the summer. :) Good luck with trying it out!
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I'm more or less vegetarian because I gave it up for Lent one year and then it stuck. Like Snuggie said, it's usually cheaper and can be a lot healthier too, if you do it right. (My first month I ate waaaay too much macaroni and cheese, and that wasn't healthy, but once you get the protein thing down it's pretty great.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I think I might have offended one of my uncles and I really don't know what I did.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

I don't understand how so many people drink coffee everyday. Half a can of diet coke and I'm jittery for the rest of the day.