Jobs and Classes

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Tally M.

Jobs and Classes

Post by Tally M. »

I really would like to get a job for Fall/Winter semester. The only problem? Most shifts are either 8-12 or 1-5, and I have a class from 4-5:20 on MWF. There's absolutely no way to schedule my classes differently, so it's a bit stressful.

So my question is, what have you guys done to manage class and work schedules? Besides doing custodial work at 4:30 in the morning...
S.A.M.

Re: Jobs and Classes

Post by S.A.M. »

Ask your professors about work they may have. Usually these are more results oriented jobs than specific shifts to cover, so your hours are extremely flexible, as long as you meet whatever deadline they may have. One job I had was creating historical maps to be included in some publication a professor was making. They often pay more too.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Even if you barely know your professor?
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I got a couple grading/TA jobs for classes I had previously taken by talking to old professors or waiting for the department to email all the math ed majors about openings. If you'd like to do that, and have taken any classes where they need TA's or graders, and you did fairly well in the class, you can just go ask the professors. I barely knew the ones I worked for, had never gone to their office hours or seen them outside of class.

You could also try the department office, see if they know of any opportunities. I don't know which department you're in, so that makes it a little more difficult, but they were always needing student ta's/graders/research assistants in the math/math ed departments.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Violet

Post by Violet »

Like other people have said, you're looking for TA and Research jobs.

I didn't know the professor I worked for very well before I started working for him. I emailed him mid-summer and asked if I could come talk to him about research. It turns out we had similar research interests and bam! 5 more hours a week (I was already working in the library). If the professors you liked and did well in classes for are around this summer, email them and go talk to them. You can make yourself known before fall.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

PPS, asking a professor for a research position doesn't always work. :( Just saying. Don't give up on other jobs. When I was a receptionist at BYU there were 3 of us every day and we had less than 4 hour shifts. Odd-hour jobs do happen.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Have you considered off-campus jobs? I loved my marketing internship, and tutoring is very flexible and pays well per hour.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

with your tutoring job, did you mostly work directly with parents or through a tutoring service?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:with your tutoring job, did you mostly work directly with parents or through a tutoring service?
Last school year, I worked about 30 hours per week during the fall/winter, and half that in the summer. My schedule and pay was directly from the school, and I wasn't in classes.

The gig I have now is through a tutoring center, and is a couple of sessions per week, though you can pick up more depending on your availability.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

that sounds pretty chill--let me know if they need more tutors :-)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I applied for a part-time library position today!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

At the HBLL? or a different lbrary?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

my local library :-) not sure if the HBLL has much part-time work for non-students, although I'm fine with being proven wrong there