Still close to high school friends?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Portia

Re: Still close to high school friends?

Post by Portia »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:We're moving away from having titles that directly reference the Board unless you are currently working there; to keep those titles causes confusion and prevents us from giving out titles that come more directly from participating on this board.
I think you're taking this a bit seriously, bob.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I assuming you're referencing the comments I made a few months ago that were written in the heat of the moment and that I am quite embarrassed by. That thread is why you're only hearing about this change now; C4 and I actually made the decision before my ill-advised posts but held off on implementation. We were initially planning to move everything to a ranking system, where all titles would be tied to how many posts someone had made, but decided we preferred giving out titles on a "whenever we feel like it" basis. : )

We are quite far off topic now, so if you would like to discuss this further you can contact myself or C4 through PM.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I want one!
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I got to hang out with one of my high school friends today! We both sang Tenor in choir our senior year of high school, and that's how we became friends. We talked about random things like how I would always try to annoy our choir teacher (I fell asleep so many times in that class... still managed to learn the music better than some of the conscious kids though), what we liked to eat for lunch, and where we would want to go on a honeymoon.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

those aren't random things; they're based on your common interests and experiences
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

A few years ago I contacted my best friend from high school. He and I did everything together. Whenever you see a picture of him in the high school yearbook I'm in the picture too. Chess club, debate club, science club, and so forth. We studied together, went to ball games together, and he taught me a little how to ice skate. It had been many years since I had contacted him, and I wasn't sure what he would remember about me. I knew he had no other friends in high school.

He couldn't remember me at all. I sent him pictures from our high school yearbook, and I never got a response back.

Guess I have to say I'm not still close to high school friends.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

Awww... That's a sad story, Vorpal!
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Random wrote:Awww... That's a sad story, Vorpal!
It is a sad story. I've often thought how sad it is that my friend has spent years and years after graduation thinking that he had no friends at all in high school.

The last time I saw him was between my mission and my first year of college. He had gone to William and Mary, and I went to BYU. He told me that he was glad to be back in Northern Virginia where all the girls were much prettier than the girls at William and Mary. He also said that his school had a culture of drinking. He couldn't find anyone at school who didn't think that what you were supposed to do for fun at college was to get drunk every weekend. He was a Unitarian and not a Mormon, but he was a non-drinker and thought drinking was disgusting.

I told him that the girls in Northern Virginia are very pretty, but the girls at BYU are beautiful. He knew there was no drinking at BYU either. At BYU I had done lots of fun things and enjoyed the company of beautiful young women. I urged him to transfer to BYU. I had often encouraged him to investigate the Church when we were in high school together. He declined my invitation.

I tried to write to him while on my mission, but after awhile we lost touch. So it was years later, after the Internet became available that I followed up to see what had happened to him. I found him in many pictures on the Internet. While he hadn't had a dog as a child, he was now very much into breeding dogs and showing them at dog shows. He looked like what he was, a sad-looking, grey bearded professor at a small community college. He had a wife, and from the looks of her he had met her at William and Mary. They had never had any children.

When I wrote to him he said that he couldn't remember me, but he was having trouble thinking about anything other than the recent death of one of his dogs. When a year or so later I sent him pictures of the two of us together in high school he didn't reply.