Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Portia »

I was surprised that the Chipotle comment was not the first, but second time my home ZIP code was mentioned on the Board

I was talking about this one IRL today as we passed the Sugarhouse one. The Boyfriend mentioned having gone to one somewhere in Sandy.

Good work, Chipotlero.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I don't think this comment deserves its own thread, so here. This question about food scales and "womanly behavior". I thought the answers were great, and I was glad someone pointed out that measuring out food in order to restrict caloric intake can lead to some bad habits. I also just want to say that APPARENTLY people use those food scales for all kinds of things, like measuring tiny things, or weighing their yarn to find out how much yarn they have. :D I was so confused when a knitting friend got excited about a food scale, but apparently that's a thing.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I bought a food scale to weigh packages. So much less expensive than a postal scale, and it does the same thing.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

it makes cooking so much easier! (assuming your recipe includes weights)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I've used a food scale for, um, COOKING. It is about the best way to ensure using the right amount of dough for a given project, so you don't have dough spilling out all over the place. The same weight of dough will cook to a similar size, but is often widely varying sizes before cooking.
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I almost asked this very question a few weeks ago!!!! So glad someone else asked it, because I quickly got tired of doing my own research. :P
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

oh, mic0, there are some really fun DK books you should check out! I recently bought this one called Pick Me Up, and it's like a magazine about humanities/a li'l science. I also really want their Ultimate Visual Dictionary. Here are some other books that look gorgeous and might be written well also:

The Where, the Why, and the How: 75 Artists Illustrate Wondrous Mysteries of Science
Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
Quadrivium: The Four Classical Liberal Arts of Number, Geometry, Music, & Cosmology (these books look gorgeous and I want them all)
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

mic0 wrote:I don't think this comment deserves its own thread, so here. This question about food scales and "womanly behavior". I thought the answers were great, and I was glad someone pointed out that measuring out food in order to restrict caloric intake can lead to some bad habits. I also just want to say that APPARENTLY people use those food scales for all kinds of things, like measuring tiny things, or weighing their yarn to find out how much yarn they have. :D I was so confused when a knitting friend got excited about a food scale, but apparently that's a thing.
I've used a food scale for making foam-latex prosthetics, and for cooking (don't worry, it wasn't the same scale)!
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Already messed up the alt text of one of my answers. Annoyingly enough.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Thank you, Squirrel, for the idea of blending salsa. I also like salsa but highly dislike tomato chunks. While I currently live at home with tomato-lovers (a.k.a. crazy people), I look forward to the day I can blend my salsa as soon as I bring it home.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Squirrel needs to get an MFA in writing exclusively to chronicle her bizarre eating habits. I was at first repulsed, then fascinated, then couldn't stop laughing (I think it was the super-citricky ice cream that did me in.)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Portia wrote:Squirrel needs to get an MFA in writing exclusively to chronicle her bizarre eating habits. I was at first repulsed, then fascinated, then couldn't stop laughing (I think it was the super-citricky ice cream that did me in.)
I was so exhausted reading that! Actually, I've only read half then came here to post about it. Ohwow, squirrel, how do you manage to actually eat anything??

ETA: Okay okay, your list actually isn't that strange, I think it is just the incredible amount of detail that makes it seem like more than it is. :D
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Squirrel sounds a bit like me before Marduk got to me. Now I eat a whole bunch of stuff that I used to not, and I'm much less picky about how those things appear in my food. It makes eating much easier!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Violet

Post by Violet »

I'm on Washington Seminar and suddenly I know two more writers. How did that happen?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

If you ever attempt any gluten-free baking, you will get way better results if you use a scale rather than measuring flours by volume.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I agree that 18 to 30 is not a very natural age breakdown. Demographer usually divide young people into 18 to 24 and 25 to 34, which seems right to me.

The ward that is right behind 24 Hour Fitness is older without being ancient. Me (25), my childhood best friend (also 25), and my boyfriend (30 next month) all have lived there in the past 6 months, and we're all unmarried (though a lot of people in the ward are paired up, not all are). The ward randomly meets in a building by Kiwanis park. You could crash; no one would mind.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I understand why they can't break it out into wards for 18-24 year olds and others for 25-34. At least outside of Utah, that would be very difficult. My single's ward pulls from 4 stakes and is just barely big enough to not be a branch. And we are lucky we live somewhere with so many members.

My friends who are nearing 31 and aging out are, for the most part, glad they're moving on. But I wish there were some better transition, such as making more effort to invite singles between 30 and 34 to activities. They can still attend a family ward and hold a calling, but if they were totally accepted and invited to FHE, Institute, and other events, I think it would really help smooth the social age differences. One friend of mine still comes, but I'm pretty sure he's not invited, he just knows when FHE is. And some people say it's odd that he keeps coming.

Basically, I think the strictness of the age limits is the problem. It should be "18-30, plus a few years based on your personal choice, inspiration, and discussion with the bishop." Some people could do with an extra year in the YSA ward. Many already leave early, can't we give those who want to stay late the same control over their decision?
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:I understand why they can't break it out into wards for 18-24 year olds and others for 25-34. At least outside of Utah, that would be very difficult. My single's ward pulls from 4 stakes and is just barely big enough to not be a branch. And we are lucky we live somewhere with so many members.
In Utah County, this would not only be trivially easy, but also more closely align with the undergrad/post-grad ages.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

the dreaded gap!! Apparently I'm in the 20% of relationships where the gap does actually become smaller. Mr. Mico liked me WAY more than I liked him for some time, but somehow I didn't mind and eventually liked him, too. More evidence that Everyone Is Different ("special" snowflakes, maybe not, but snowflakes on different trajectories? Sure).
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Another vote for the gap becoming smaller. I think it's happened at least two or three times to me now.