library chat and anonymity

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Squirrel
Board Writer

library chat and anonymity

Post by Squirrel »

When when i'm on library chat, can the library peeps tell who I am, just like the phones on campus? Also,how do writers handle the campus caller-ID situation?

"Hi, I write for an online, student- run question-answer website, and I-"
"hey! Are you a Board writer? Cool! I read it all the time! Oh! I know your name now! What's your 'nym?!!"

I mean-- how do you keep anonymity in that situation?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: library chat and anonymity

Post by Katya »

I think some writers are less concerned about anonymity than others or they realize that they're going to have to set it aside on occasion. (Plus, very few people even know what the Board is, so the odds of someone caring that you're a writer are slim.)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Word. I hardly ever bothered to maintain anonymity with sources, although when emailing I did use my Board email address. One time when I was chatting with the library peeps the person asked "Is this for the Board?" I said yes, then he asked which writer I was. Then we realized we know each other IRL and he had already known I was a writer. Therefore, the library chat thing is anonymous because otherwise he would not have had to ask who I was or if I was with the Board, because he already would have known. You know? :D I hope that story made sense.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

No, the librarians can't see who is chatting. The chat box just pops up with a random user ID number (different for each chat-- multiple questions from the same user are not connected to each other as far as I know). So, your identity is safe!
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Are you a library chat person? I've always wanted to meet Snozberry Swirl in person... maybe you could give me some leads?....

oh- this is in reference to http://www.theboardboard.org/viewtopic. ... =snozberry
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

I was/am. I worked at one of the reference desks for several years, and answering chats was among our desk attendant responsibilities. I don't know who Snozberry Swirl is, though. We mostly kept to our own section. That was a few years ago, but I do volunteer at the library now and I get to answer chats on Sundays. So, if you send one then, maybe we'll get to talk!
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Cool!