Work hours

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!

How few hours a week would you put up with?

They'd have to cut me to 0. I take what I can get.
20%
1 - 5 hours a week.
No votes
6 - 8 hours a week.
40%
9 - 12 hours a week.
20%
13-15 hours a week.
10%
Anything less than the 20 I was led to believe I would be paid for.
10%

Total votes: 10

Giovanni Schwartz

Work hours

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

If you got a job (presumably for long-term, but at this point, they may make you retroactively temporary at the end of the summer), how few hours could they cut you to per week before you quit?

Background: My site supervisor for the company for whom I teach swimming lessons just called me and said "Hey... we don't need you to come in on Thursdays anymore." (I'm not sure if it was just me, or everyone at the location). This cut my hours from a whopping 12.5 hours per week to approximately 9.75 hours per week.

I was originally under the impression that I would be either at, or at least near 20 hours a week.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Work hours

Post by Katya »

For me, it would depend on how much I liked the job, how much I needed the money, and how easy I thought it would be to get a different job.
Giovanni Schwartz

More info, then.

This is my swimming lessons job. I love teaching the little kids, but it does cause me stress. It makes me tired, and after I finish at night, I don't want to go out and do anything.

But it's really fun, and my coworkers are pretty great.

I don't really need the money. I also work for my parents part time, and they pay half again as much per hour as swimming lessons people, and give me more hours. And I could get a couple more with them if I quit swimming lessons.

At the same time, I don't think swimming lessons company has any extra people that could take my place right now. And I might start getting more hours in August, assuming I still have a job.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

So, you're not doing it for the money really. Would you rather have time/energy to do stuff in the evening or would you rather have the fulfilling socialization/teaching experience of the swim job?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Starting next week I will be forced to work 32 hours a week, instead of 40 (average). My case is different. In some ways I'd be earning more retired than working 32 hours a week.

In your case I'd look for another job.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

vorpal blade wrote:Starting next week I will be forced to work 32 hours a week, instead of 40 (average). My case is different. In some ways I'd be earning more retired than working 32 hours a week.

In your case I'd look for another job.
Furloughed huh? I have a bunch of friends this is happening to. Some families where both parent's hours are getting cut. Stressful. Especially when so many groups are getting exempted, it really seems the implementation is rather arbitrary.
Talons

Post by Talons »

Personally, if I didn't think I needed the money I'd stick with it, depending on how fulfilling my other job was. You're potentially saving children's lives, and there's something about being physically tired that leaves me with a sense of accomplishment. Some days I wish I could get away from my desk and go back to the chicken farm. You've got the rest of your life to be working the same 40 hour a week job.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Yep, furloughed. I'm not too worrying personally about a 20% cut in pay. We don't live hand to mouth, but I know many people who do. For them it is more stressful.

It definitely doesn't feel like we are all being treated fairly and equally. It is like an additional 20% tax leveled at people in my job category. And when I see wasteful spending in the government, and I'll skip the examples, I think this furlough isn't really necessary.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I've got a similar job, but I knew when I took it the hours would be low: between 7 and 10 hours. It's almost always closer to 7 a week. But I keep it because I love working the rockwall, I need some form of income and this is all I have, and it just feels good to have something out of the house with other people. I plan on getting a full-time job, and after a couple of months of two jobs at once, I'm not sure I'll keep this, though. Despite all the great benefits (free gym membership, fun kids, management and leadership opportunities), I might decide focusing on a single job is a better option for me.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

man, where are you guys finding these awesome part-time jobs?
Giovanni Schwartz

Teach swimming lessons, yo! It's way fun.