for women's eyes only

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

for women's eyes only

Post by Portia »

Really? Menarche and bras are just too much for your delicate male sensibilities?

Newsflash, dudes and women who fear them: every woman menstruates at some point. Most women, Portlanders sometimes excepted, wear bras at some point. It's about as potentially offensive as questions about (beard) shaving or football.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: for women's eyes only

Post by Marduk »

I assumed a question about bras would be too sexy for delicate male sensibilities.
Deus ab veritas
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I think it's only fair to readers that they have fair warning of what they're going to read may be of a sensitive nature, so that they have the option to skip it if they wish. And some people are embarrassed that they're asking that type of question, so they apologize- that's okay too. They're learning to be more open about it. Not everyone is comfortable in sharing everything, and that's a valid feeling, I think. But I do think it's good for people to keep asking these kinds of questions, and that men are knowledgeable about things that women deal with.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Still bugs me. A guy wouldn't say that. It reinforces the idea that women have to apologize for everything.

People don't say, hey, my question is rampant religious speculation, warning!

There's too Victorian of a culture around women's issues in our culture. It's stupid to read a Q&A board and not expect "sensitive" issues...
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I once asked this question: http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/11226/

:D
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I don't know the 'nym well enough to say: is Latro being sarcastic in that answer?

Because I actually like unusual hair colors on women.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:I don't know the 'nym well enough to say: is Latro being sarcastic in that answer?
No. (Now I'm imagining whether or not you and Latro would be friends if you knew each other IRL. :) )
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Portia wrote:It's about as potentially offensive as questions about (beard) shaving or football.
Wouldn't a better comparison be to ejaculation/nocturnal emissions and jock straps (or boxer/brief options)?

Not that I disagree with you, because I don't - these questions shouldn't be offensive to males or females, nor should they need any warning. I just feel your comparisons are a bit off.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Bras do not cover one's genitals.
Deus ab veritas
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Marduk wrote:Bras do not cover one's genitals.
Unless you are wearing them wrong.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Marduk wrote:Bras do not cover one's genitals.
They still cover the private parts of a woman's body.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Depends on how you define "private parts."
Deus ab veritas
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

I actually the questioner about bra sizes was very tactful-- it made me think of Question #66214, which was a lot more " mennreadingaboutperiodsisthemosthorriblethingintheworld!!!" overkill (and I loved Rating Pending's response to it!) I think it's silly to insist men not reading something like #66214, or the questions mentioned in this link, but I have no problem with a reader giving a mild disclaimer in case some men don't want to talk about it. Not everyone feels comfortable reading about bodily functions or undergarments and that's fine. We all have our own point of squeamishness and there's no reason to force someone else to our standard of okay/not okay unless it's inappropriate by gospel standards (or BYU standards in the case of the 100 hour board).
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

On the other hand, I just found this question, which swings to the opposite extreme. http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/57108/
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Yeah, I didn't necessarily think the question about bras needed a disclaimer. Menstruation, on the other hand, is gross, and I can understand why some men might appreciate the disclaimer.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'd agree that any question that involves blood coming out of someone probably needs a disclaimer. (Not that I personally care, but I get that a lot of people are squeamish about that stuff)
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

It wasn't a question about the mechanics of menses, though, but why girls are going through puberty earlier. That's historical not ew-gross.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

True...
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

This is not exactly related, but I read this article by Maureen Johnson (a YA writer) about "girl" books vs. general books, which somehow means only books by/about men. Women's things apparently are their own sort of special category, clearly needing a label or disclaimer (or special cover) so that "regular people" won't have to bother with them. I wonder if there's some of that going on in board questions.
Portia

Post by Portia »

thatonemom wrote:This is not exactly related, but I read this article by Maureen Johnson (a YA writer) about "girl" books vs. general books, which somehow means only books by/about men. Women's things apparently are their own sort of special category, clearly needing a label or disclaimer (or special cover) so that "regular people" won't have to bother with them. I wonder if there's some of that going on in board questions.
YES.