early vs mid-twenties

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

early vs mid-twenties

Post by Portia »

A lot of people romanticize the early 20s, but mine weren't so hot. The late teens were great, including Board writership, but you couldn't pay me to be 21 again. I was so happy to turn 25. My friends who are five years older and hot the Recession at 25 idealize their college years. And now they're dreading turning 30.

I guess a lot of Provobians' 20s are more like their 30s, culturally (not as much among my crowd), raising kids, wearing sensible shoes, and so on. Which half of the decade did you prefer?
Whistler

Re: early vs mid-twenties

Post by Whistler »

not sure if I prefer one over the other. They're different.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:not sure if I prefer one over the other. They're different.
How so?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I just barely turned 25 and things look so much rosier over here. My early 20's I had no ambition, no purpose, ran away from home for the first time (I'm not being cute about moving out, I actually spent the night at a friend's house and refused to tell my parents where I was), my anxiety issues got worse and worse, and I cut short the happiest time of my life to return home because I couldn't handle the guilt. 25 sees me in a stable relationship, living on my own, operating a decently successful company, learning to think and have opinions as well as control my anxiety, and about to go back to school to major in vocal performance (something I've always wanted to do but was too afraid of when I first went to college).
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:
Whistler wrote:not sure if I prefer one over the other. They're different.
How so?
I guess for me I think of it more in terms of before and after I got married, or before/after I graduated from college. I spent a lot of time with friends and studying and writing for the Board in my early 20s. I was also constantly worried about money, since my approach to budgeting was "spend as little money as possible." I loved checking various books out of BYU's library (I'm still trying to re-find the one about hypnosis I enjoyed) and dating/getting to know people.

Now, I'm not so worried about money (thanks to my husband... yes I do feel badly about that sometimes), but I don't have as easy of access to my friends. It's hard to make new friends when child-raising is so prominent in my community and I feel I have little to contribute to that, besides teaching/cub scouts. But I do enjoy the luxuries of a shower that I don't have to bend over to use, all the cheese I can eat, and being able to buy a book when I want to (but I'm more socially isolated/family is more important now).
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I also feel like I was more ambitious in my early 20s, and now I feel like external approval/status isn't as important to me, maybe since my husband fulfills that role.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Definitely early 20s. No longer answerable to parents, but not yet responsible for a family.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'm still in my early 20s, so maybe I shouldn't weigh in, but I will say that this is a million times better than when I was a teenager (source: I reread my journal from 2004 - SAD TIMES!). I am more confident and overall happier and view the world in a much less black-and-white way. It's hard to imagine what my late 20s will be like, but if I continue on gaining more confidence and accepting life and trying to find the things that interest me instead of moping (I'm talking to you, 14-year-old-Mico) then I guess it will be better than now? We'll see. I guess I didn't consider being responsible for a family, though; I do already dislike things like looking for an apartment. Bleh!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Everything is way better after you turn 30.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

A bit of language and plenty of references to drinking, but I found it worth a chuckle or two. And the title immediately made me think of this thread.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/ ... e-twenties
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:A bit of language and plenty of references to drinking, but I found it worth a chuckle or two. And the title immediately made me think of this thread.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/ ... e-twenties
Yep, this has been making the rounds. The early 20s were so unlike mine that it's hard to compare.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Slightly related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSnDJ7exSO0

Pretty much how I feel right now.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

NerdGirl wrote:Slightly related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSnDJ7exSO0

Pretty much how I feel right now.
HAHA! Is it bad if I just turned 23 but relate more to this one than 22? :\ Only about half of it.