google reader

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

google reader

Post by Portia »

Will exporting my data to Google Takeout suffice come July 1? (A weirdly ominous day since it's when I start my new job.)
Whistler

Re: google reader

Post by Whistler »

I think that would work but it's easier to do it now. I'm using The Old Reader and am liking it quite a bit.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Yeah, I'd recommend doing it now just to be safe. Also, like Whistler pointed out, certain services will migrate your data over to theirs for you if you do it before Reader shuts down. I'm using Feedly and liking it pretty well so far (despite some odd bugs). Note, though, that as far as I know they haven't said they'll be able to transfer old posts over (although it looks like they are working on transferring tagged posts, if you have any of those).

Your takeout data doesn't have any old posts or anything either, for the record; just a list of your feeds (and possibly folders you've grouped them under?).
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yes, if the reader is set up to do folders the folders will remain
Portia

Post by Portia »

I've transitioned over. I now have a couple months to get used to it, but I'm glad I got on the ball now.

Google also got rid of Google Texting. Boo!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:I think that would work but it's easier to do it now. I'm using The Old Reader and am liking it quite a bit.
So, The Old Reader is now kicking out the people who switched to it after Google Reader made their announcement. Did you join before that, Whistler?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Well, I didn't, but I got a notification saying I would be moved to their private thing (maybe I got lucky?). My husband is thinking of switching to Feedly, but I really like the Old Reader and will stick with them if I can.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I've been using Hive Reader and despite some bugs, I really like it (especially since the formatting is the same as Google Reader). Although you can't e-mail from the reader, so that part is less awesome.