Temple Endowment for Single Sisters

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

blpsara

Re: Temple Endowment for Single Sisters

Post by blpsara »

UffishThought wrote:
NerdGirl wrote:In my own personal experience, there are a few aspects of the church that I am not able to fully participate in due to physical limitations (I can't fully take the sacrament anymore because of gluten contamination, for example).
Really? In my ward they have a few rice cracker fragments for the gluten-intolerant folks. Maybe you should see if you can get something set up for you.
Also, in my ward a family who has celiac disease brings in their own bread in small plastic baggies and just gives it to the young men beforehand. The young men have been trained on where the tray with the plastic baggies goes.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I've brought rice crackers in past wards, but my current ward is just to busy and chaotic for them to do it safely (and a lot of the time the tray with my rice cracker on it wasn't even getting to me). I got sick a couple of times. So now I just take the water.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

NerdGirl wrote:I've brought rice crackers in past wards, but my current ward is just to busy and chaotic for them to do it safely (and a lot of the time the tray with my rice cracker on it wasn't even getting to me). I got sick a couple of times. So now I just take the water.
You could also ask the Bishop if your home teachers (if they are willing) could do Sacrament separately for you after church. I'm assuming most Bishops would approve. It's worth asking, at least.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

blpsara wrote:
UffishThought wrote:
NerdGirl wrote:In my own personal experience, there are a few aspects of the church that I am not able to fully participate in due to physical limitations (I can't fully take the sacrament anymore because of gluten contamination, for example).
Really? In my ward they have a few rice cracker fragments for the gluten-intolerant folks. Maybe you should see if you can get something set up for you.
Also, in my ward a family who has celiac disease brings in their own bread in small plastic baggies and just gives it to the young men beforehand. The young men have been trained on where the tray with the plastic baggies goes.
My coworker does this, too. She always sits in the same place at the very front to be sure the young men know exactly where she'll be sitting and can get to her first.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

One of my bishops actually had me hold my bread on my lap and then eat it after the prayer. This caused some confusion, however - when the guy trying to pass the sacrament wasn't in on it, he wouldn't bring me the water. (This was when I sat up on the stand so I couldn't just take some as it was passed to those around me.)
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Portia's Mom wrote:I was wondering has [boyfriend] taken out his endowments? I figure the answer is yes since he is 21.
Portia wrote:No, he hasn't. As far as I can tell, for either gender, if it's you're getting married, have a mission call, or about 25. [Boyfriend] never got a mission call, so he has not yet. He is an elder, though.
Portia's Mom wrote:You can when your [sic] 21. Elena did at 19, 20 or 21 and she wasn't married for a couple of years after.
This was from 2007. So I would reiterate that it really does appear to depend on the individual. In fact, as the exchange illustrates, I'd say men have a harder time getting endowed without the life event of mission or marriage than women do.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Portia wrote:my mom said she'd take me to hawaii if I wasn't married by 25 (in response to my kvetching at being unmarried at 21: ;) hahaha)
DAMMIT WHY DID YOU DIE, WOMAN!?
Carrapicho

Post by Carrapicho »

NerdGirl wrote:I've brought rice crackers in past wards, but my current ward is just to busy and chaotic for them to do it safely (and a lot of the time the tray with my rice cracker on it wasn't even getting to me). I got sick a couple of times. So now I just take the water.
I was in the hospital a couple years ago after major surgery and I wasn't allowed any food or drink for five days. One of those days was a Sunday. Because it was in good ol' Provo, there was a couple going around visiting all the LDS patients and offering them the sacrament. They told me that, because I wasn't allowed to eat/drink, I could pick up the bread and water, touch it to my lips, and then discard it. Maybe it's an option for you? Plus, that way you don't have to deal with deacons that think you don't want the water either because you didn't take the bread :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

this reminds me of something I read about a medieval belief about the communion. So, the priest puts the bread right in your mouth, and it's believed/was believed to transubstantiate into the actual flesh of Christ. So if you didn't eat the bread and kept it, you could do terrible magical things with it! I wish I could find my source for it now, because it was kind of fascinating.