Service and kids

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
krebscout

Service and kids

Post by krebscout »

Does anyone have favorite acts of service that are child friendly? Right now visiting the elderly is about all that I've got.
mic0

Re: Service and kids

Post by mic0 »

Children of what age?
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

4 and almost 3.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

They can draw pictures to send to ward (or stake) missionaries. I know I loved when my home ward had Primary activities like that!
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Putting together service kits. There are often groups where lots of school supplies or hygiene supplies get donated (or even through your ward) then volunteers put the packages together. My mom hosted one and the kids loved it. They actually left the ward dinner early and ended up making most of the packages before their parents arrived. You just give them the bag and then say "One thing from each table" or whatever it is and they put them together.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

You can contact Provo and ask for responsibility to do some weeding in a park or along a road, or repaint things, etc. Maybe they have some outdoor physical maintenance work you could do in your area, too.
wryness

Post by wryness »

There's also a community garden in Provo pretty close to the library. (100 East, 400 North.) It's pretty fledgling right now and I'm sure they could use some help. Working in a garden is a great way to learn how to work hard! I don't have contact info for whoever's in charge, but it's visible on a sign posted there.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Ooh! Combine Smurf's service idea with the link that Rifka just posted in how to deal with panhandlers thread!
blpsara

Post by blpsara »

I know in my ward, we often do humanitarian projects that are making those Sunday activity books for kids (the ones you make with a file folder). They often need people to help color them. That might be something your kids would enjoy doing.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Making cookies or putting together fruit baskets and doorbell ditching them. The kids will love getting to help make/put them together, and the excitement of trying not to be caught (be careful to stay close to the kids when doorbell-ditching, though-- otherwise they might not understand and might come out of hiding and spoil your anonymity-- this has happened in my family before). If doorbell-ditching would be too hard for them (to keep hidden or to run quickly enough), you could just take the goodies to people without the doorbell-ditching part.

Along the same lines, you could help the kids be a secret admirer for another kid their age. Help them pick out treats or little toys the other child might like and leave one every day or so (for however long you feel like doing it) with notes from their "secret admirer."

If you have garden space, you could have them help you plant fruits/vegetables and then take them around to give away when they are ripe. My nieces and nephews love getting to help out in my parents' garden.