Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Whistler »

the link didn't work until I took out the "guess" part of the end. The first time through I got 150, and then I tried again and got 600. Knowing some Russian helped a lot!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I tried it a few times and definitely got a range of results, from about 250 to 800. A lot of it depends on what choices you get, which seems to be randomized. I'm decent at distinguishing language families, but struggle more with individual languages.

It's kind of funny that you get the same number of points for distinguishing, say, Russian from Cantonese that you get for distinguishing Hindi from Punjabi or Serbian from Bosnian.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Oh, I was just saying because she knew your brother.
Ah, gotcha.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Katya wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I'm curious how Tally M. and Katya (specifically) would do on this. http://greatlanguagegame.com/guess/
500. It helped that some of the clips repeated.
750 the second time.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I don't have any ulcers, but I do have chronic stomach pain (functional dyspepsia). Ugh.
Violet

Post by Violet »

300. I had a harder time with poorer recordings, but that was fun.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I helped a friend with his comic con costume yesterday. Spandex is probably one of the worst kinds of fabric to sew. I didn't do too horribly, but if I'd had more time I probably would've completely redone it because I could've done better.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My new Kickstarter will be launched this week! I've (hopefully) learned from the mistakes of last time. : )
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Oh yeah, Dead Cat's got it right. That's completely trying to look like a DW shirt. But it's not.

Also, my socks today are like lingerie for my toes. They are the little no-show socks in a nearly sheer black, so you can see my red nail polish through them. I looked at my feet and wanted to share this observation with someone, but I doubt my roommate would appreciate it.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:Also, my socks today are like lingerie for my toes. They are the little no-show socks in a nearly sheer black, so you can see my red nail polish through them. I looked at my feet and wanted to share this observation with someone, but I doubt my roommate would appreciate it.
Teehee.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Signed up for some interesting continuing ed classes, including latin dancing, jazz singing, and digital photography. Woohoo.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Portia wrote:Signed up for some interesting continuing ed classes, including latin dancing, jazz singing, and digital photography. Woohoo.
Like.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

So, in my attempts to lose weight, I have started cooking foods at home. It's turning out pretty well. This may even make me wife material!
beautiful, dirty, rich
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Imogen wrote:So, in my attempts to lose weight, I have started cooking foods at home. It's turning out pretty well. This may even make me wife material!
Reminds me of this quote.
Pennsylvania Dutch wrote: Cooking lasts, kissing don't
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 57,2713996
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I'm curious how Tally M. and Katya (specifically) would do on this. http://greatlanguagegame.com/guess/
I got 550 the first time. :-) That was super fun!
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

We did some weight training and running/jogging/walking in my fitness for life class. I hated the running bit (as usual), but the weight training was actually kind of fun!
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Random wrote:We did some weight training and running/jogging/walking in my fitness for life class. I hated the running bit (as usual), but the weight training was actually kind of fun!
I took a weightlifting class as a senior on the advice of my doctor, who thought it my help my chronic back pain and I quite unexpectedly loved it and kept it up for the last year or so I was in college. I think I liked it because I found it very meditative and I could do it by myself and at my own pace, which seems like the opposite of most athletic activities.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I followed some foreign-language news sites on twitter to try and increase my exposure to the language. More often than not, I just ignore the tweets...
wryness

Post by wryness »

I really hope somebody starts another thread soon in the "Less Than 100 Hour Board" section that is NOT about tampons. I feel so awkward every time I go to see what posts are new there. Yep.

Also, the new season of Avatar starts tomorrow! Anyone know if it'll stream online live at the same time?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

wryness wrote:I really hope somebody starts another thread soon in the "Less Than 100 Hour Board" section that is NOT about tampons.
I'm on it.