No votes
12+
No votes

Total votes: 15

Portia

Re: engagement length

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Portia wrote:What is Joy School? To put it delicately, it sounds made up.
Heh. This could be a different topic and if you want to learn more than this, we probably should make it such. But Joy School has been around longer than you've probably been alive. It's the idea that kids have their whole lives to learn academics, and that's what schools focus on. But as young as preschool we should instead of focusing on shapes, colors, letters, numbers, etc., we should be teaching our kids to feel joy. It's generally a mother-run co-op that uses official Joy School curriculum. It's everything from Joy of the Body and Joy of the Earth to Joy in Honesty and Candor. It's a really awesome program, in my opinion. You can read more here: http://www.valuesparenting.com/joyschool/
Hmm, one of my ex-Mormon acquaintances and his wife have very similar views on educating their children.

This is why I like having a diverse friend group. It's interesting to see the different permutations of theist/atheist, religious/non-religious, yuppie/hippie, "normal" school/progressive schooling.

My child will be raised on a strict diet of disciplinarianism and times tables (hope there's a Catholic school in my neighborhood :D ), but I am glad to hear you're so involved in your children's education! Woo!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

You might be pleased to know that Dragon Baby is also enrolled at a preschool that focuses on reading. Her ability to read still astounds me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:You might be pleased to know that Dragon Baby is also enrolled at a preschool that focuses on reading. Her ability to read still astounds me.
That's cool.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Yeah, we dated like 2 years, got engaged for about 6 months after that. SO LONG for the Utah folks. I have never heard of Mormons not taking a honeymoon? Whaaaat?

I think that outside of Mormondom most people are engaged 8-12 months. That's what it seems like for the people from my high school who have gotten married.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I hardly know any Mormons who took a proper honeymoon. (My definition: you have to fly, at least a week.)
Violet

Post by Violet »

That's surprising. Most people I know have done something for at least a week, if not longer. And alright, fair enough, I know a lot of people who have done the drive to southern California or the Oregon coast thing, but most of the people who stayed close took a bigger trip within the next six months and justified it using the "I'm not really going to leave the room and I want to explore the places I travel" reasoning.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I was in Joy School! I still get those songs stuck in my head.

As to the actual question, my guess is 5-6 months would be ideal, supposing you want to have a large-ish wedding/invite far away family etc. Then again, I've read prom tips in magazines that advocate 5+ months of preparation...
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Just for the record, I said 4 months, before reading that you meant for non-virgin/non-LDS folks. And yes, it does make a difference.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Marx and I were engaged for about 9 months, which I felt was a bit too long. Six would have been better.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Just for the record, I said 4 months, before reading that you meant for non-virgin/non-LDS folks. And yes, it does make a difference.
Aha! Now no one can credibly argue to me that the rush to the altar isn't predicated on sex.
Emiliana wrote:Marx and I were engaged for about 9 months, which I felt was a bit too long. Six would have been better.
Cool. I'll keep that in mind.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Just for the record, I said 4 months, before reading that you meant for non-virgin/non-LDS folks. And yes, it does make a difference.
Aha! Now no one can credibly argue to me that the rush to the altar isn't predicated on sex.
People argue that? That's ridiculous. I absolutely think that a short LDS engagement is preferable specifically for that reason. Once you've decided to get married, it's remarkably harder to abstain. Which is why I prefer the long dating short engagement model.