Driver's Ed Schools and MY BEAUTIFUL CAR

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
wryness

Driver's Ed Schools and MY BEAUTIFUL CAR

Post by wryness »

I arrived home only to have one of my new neighbors let me know that a nearby driver's ed school has been having students practice/demonstrate parallel parking and the like next to MY BEAUTIFUL CAR. I normally park it on the side of the street because I dread backing out of a tiny driveway with two roommates' cars already parked in it. I tried moving my car closer to a garbage can to avoid this happening again, but as I was entering the house I saw a driver's ed car pulling up next to my car, right then. I had a talk with the driver/instructor and the instructor said that this won't happen again, but I doubt it.

The instructor mentioned the law stating that if a car is parked on the (side of the) road, then their driver's ed cars can practice near it/with it. This kind of makes sense, but at the same time I wonder if anyone knows what part of the law she would be referring to. I already had to go to a collision shop when someone back into my car a few months ago, and I'd prefer to not have it happen again if there is any sort of legal stricture that will keep me safe.

...or it might turn out that I just need to stop parking on the side of the road. :P
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Driver's Ed Schools and MY BEAUTIFUL CAR

Post by Marduk »

There doesn't need to be a law specifically relating to it. Simply put, someone with a learner's permit has a legal right to be on public roads with an instructor. Anywhere on public roads. Without restrictions. Essentially, as long as your vehicle is on public property, they can park next to it as they please.
Deus ab veritas
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Marduk is right, however, I do have a personal anecdote. When I was doing driver's Ed in high school they had a driving range on wich we would practice all of our parking skills with cones. Even my parallel parking test was done there. I just think the school did that to avoid the potential lawsuits that might happen if one of thier students did hit another car while parallel parking.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

My high school's drivers ed never even put us in cars. We just studied the little driver's handbook and watched slideshows of gory accidents.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I had to parallel park in a tiny spot between two cars for my drivers ed test. I still to this day loathe parallel parking, I'm terrible at it, but on that day, somehow, magically, I successfully parked the car in the most beautiful maneuver ever. In fact, I was so busy being impressed with myself that I forgot to turn the blinker on when it was time to get out of the spot: 5 pt. reduction! argh!! I'm still upset about that. I had my perfect score on the written test to make up for it though (yeah, I'm a nerd).
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I could regale you all with tale of how I got my driver's license, but I won't. Long story short, my mom fought the MVD. My mom won.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I could regale you all with tale of how I got my driver's license, but I won't. Long story short, my mom fought the MVD. My mom won.
I kind of want to hear that...