simplify, simplify

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

simplify, simplify

Post by Portia »

So, I'm moving back to Utah for sure (hooray!), and put in my resignation yesterday. Now this leads to a grand de-junking regime, because as ever, I don't drive, and shipped all my stuff here.

Whistler suggested donating all the books I feel guilty for never having read. I love reading though, it's my #1 hobby, and I strongly associate the books I've collected with the interesting experiences I've had over the past several years. And media mail is cheaper. I do think I need to get rid of DVDs (I just don't make the time) and old magazines and especially the piles of snail mail that just replicate, like protozoa.

Clothes, on the other hand, I want to majorly rehaul. My weight has fluctuated a lot, but appears to have stabilized in the size 8 range (yay!). So I am happy to donate all the very high-end but too-large clothes I have, but am not sure about a few aspirational pieces I bought when I was skinny. I have literally an entire trunk of sweaters. Oh, and the shoes! I have like, five solid pairs I should keep and the ridiculous blue stilettos I bought at Aldo to go clubbing one time shortly before my mom died should probably just go. They're obviously still in mint condition.

Then, everything that's not books and not clothes. Jewelry, for example. This puzzle I bought and never opened. My suitcase which I first took to France (2007!) and is literally duct taped and um, I think that merits replacing (but look, boots! Shiny!). Electronics: cords that go to who knows what? I think I should get rid of everything that isn't, like, a nice camera or something. What about the guitar I got for $15 at a yard sale? I think that's worth keeping, but hard to transport.

I am going to try to sell my furniture, what little I have of it, to my roommate (brand new bookshelves from Target for $20? That probably cost me double or treble that? Seems like a good deal). I own literally zero (0) kitchen things, so that's easy.

Then the most annoying one: bathroom stuff. I have enough tubes of mascara that a Russian Leninist would probably shoot me on sight. PEEPS I WEAR MAKEUP LIKE ONCE A MONTH NOW. I think I'll keep it all and just forbid myself from buying any more freaking shampoos until they are GONE.

I had a very large room and lots of drawers at my grandma's, and she has a big house, so it was surprising how much I had acquired.

I just really want to focus on my writing and I think the mental energy of sorting through this stuff should be refocused elsewhere. I am going to be income-less soon and think I need to get what I can from Plato's Closet while the getting is good.

Anyone else ever toss out a bunch of their stuff? How did it go?
thatonemom

Re: simplify, simplify

Post by thatonemom »

I've never done this, but I've seen it done. So I guess take any ideas that work and toss the rest. :)

It probably helps to know exactly how much room you'll have to move things and how much you're willing to spend to ship the rest. Then I'd probably go for limits. Give yourself X number of jeans or sweaters or books or DVDs. Pick your favorites and then get rid of the rest.

You can always try to sell thins on craigslist or whatever the local version of KSL is. Giving people a bulk discount, or charging $5 or $10 (or whatever) for a bag that people can fill with what they want seems to be a popular way to go. For everything that doesn't sell, there are shelters that would be happy to have your clothes and (most likely unused) toiletries. There's also Freecycle.

I'd probably get rid of all the other toiletries, though. Things are cheap in Utah and shipping is expensive. Plus make up is supposed to be replaced pretty regularly. I'd count anything opened that you can't remember buying as a sunk cost.

Good luck! Moving sucks, packing sucks, really anything but being settled kind of sucks.
Also, some unsolicited advice, but go see the Dells before you leave Wisconsin! It's really pretty there.
Portia

Post by Portia »

thatonemom wrote:I've never done this, but I've seen it done. So I guess take any ideas that work and toss the rest. :)

It probably helps to know exactly how much room you'll have to move things and how much you're willing to spend to ship the rest. Then I'd probably go for limits. Give yourself X number of jeans or sweaters or books or DVDs. Pick your favorites and then get rid of the rest.

You can always try to sell thins on craigslist or whatever the local version of KSL is. Giving people a bulk discount, or charging $5 or $10 (or whatever) for a bag that people can fill with what they want seems to be a popular way to go. For everything that doesn't sell, there are shelters that would be happy to have your clothes and (most likely unused) toiletries. There's also Freecycle.

I'd probably get rid of all the other toiletries, though. Things are cheap in Utah and shipping is expensive. Plus make up is supposed to be replaced pretty regularly. I'd count anything opened that you can't remember buying as a sunk cost.

Good luck! Moving sucks, packing sucks, really anything but being settled kind of sucks.
Also, some unsolicited advice, but go see the Dells before you leave Wisconsin! It's really pretty there.
Yeah, I'm super lame, and haven't gone, AND IT'S SNOWING HERE ALREADY. I should just bike up there, even if I starve and my feet bleed doing it.

Those are awesome suggestions. I think Freecycle is big up here. Lots of unemployed hippies.

I do want to be settled, but at the same time, Utah apartments are huge and I don't want it to fill with stuff. The thought of again sharing space with a man is making me a little bit nervous, especially because my boyfriend is not particularly tidy.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Aww, man, I love my movies. I'd get one of those big cd case things and keep the dvds, but ditch the cases. Saves space for moving, and you don't throw away the money you spent to buy them in the first place.
Portia

Post by Portia »

They were donated to me by an ex Mo friend up here. I don't even have a way to play them.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I want to know which DVDs you're thinking of giving away. But then I just found out I'm moving too, so maybe I shouldn't be trying to get more stuff.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Genuine Article wrote:I want to know which DVDs you're thinking of giving away. But then I just found out I'm moving too, so maybe I shouldn't be trying to get more stuff.
Same city? That's exciting. Did your husband finish his degree and get a job somewhere?
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

He finished his MA and just got offered a job in Tennessee, where neither of us have ever been before, so we're moving across the country sight unseen.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I've always thought that if I had to get rid of all my books/movies, I would be sure to make a list of them first. That way I wouldn't forget what books I had in case I ever needed to reference them/wanted to read them again. Just an idea?