lecture tonight in Salt Lake City

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

lecture tonight in Salt Lake City

Post by Portia »

Can't be there, as I'm 1400 miles away, but I thought I'd share this for those who are interested. I might use the significant coupons Half Price Books has been so kind as to email me to pick up his book: it looks interesting.
2013 Tanner Lecture on Human Values with Andrew Solomon
"Love, Acceptance, Celebration: How Parents Make Their Children"
November 4, 2013 • 7:00 PM
Olpin Union Ballroom (200 S. Central Campus Dr.)
This event is free and open to the public. No tickets are required, but please arrive early for seating.

The most basic mechanism of resilience is the ability to construct meaning out of adversity. Is that meaning inherent? Is it somehow manufactured? Are there intimacies that are contingent on pain? For insight, Andrew Solomon will draw on his life's work, speaking about his time in the Soviet Union in the late 1980s, his experience in depression, and his work with families of extraordinary children. From these experiences, he will offer a perspective about meaning drawn from adversity and the functions it serves.

Andrew Solomon is a critically acclaimed author, lecturer, and regular contributor to NPR, The New York Times, and many other publications. His first book, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas for Depression, won the National Book Award in 2001 and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. His second book, Far From the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity, received the 2012 National Book Critics Circle Award and the Dayton Literary Peace Prize.

For more information, visit http://www.thc.utah.edu