Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

That's alright. You can just wave your fee. In fact, you can waive your money goodbye.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

One of my internal medicine attendings had a great rant about how a regiment was a bunch of soldiers and a regime was the government they worked for, but neither of them had anything to do with your patient's medication REGIMEN. :D
Portia

Post by Portia »

Concorde is on a roll today. #love
Portia

Post by Portia »

Divya has good stress relief tips. I found the biofeedback lab to be much more helpful than talk therapy.

It's frustrating that she works full-time and yet apparently feels compelled to make all the meals and keep house by herself. Glad Divya pointed out the imbalance there.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

How did you read that she's making all the meals and keeping house by herself? She never says that.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:How did you read that she's making all the meals and keeping house by herself? She never says that.
Assuming they reflect the median, it's very likely she spends about double the amount of time on housework. That could vary dramatically in her case, but the fact that her husband travels for his job makes it unlikely.

And no matter how they split their duties, it sounds like the status quo is leaving her needlessly frazzled, so I think that him picking up the slack or their renegotiating standards (she sounds like she could have perfectionist tendencies) could be good before a baby enters the picture.

Sometimes relaxation is enough; sometimes you have to address the underlying problem.

I don't think I could be happy in a relationship where the man travels a lot or works super long hours. I would take the paycut to household income for the increase in time spent together.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Right, I'm just pointing out that you say "It's frustrating that she works full-time and yet apparently feels compelled to make all the meals and keep house by herself." when in fact we have no indication exactly how household duties are split, other than it isn't 100% him and 0% her. It could be any other split (yes, I'm well aware of statistics that say women in general spend more hours on housework.)
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Some of us, like you and me, experienced a lot of heartache growing up, while some didn't. For all we know, their major trials are yet to come. For all we know, so are ours. That's life.
The Entropy Ninja
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Happy as a clam

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75134/

Good answer and makes sense. But it also made me think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtoZs5pkq0k
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I'm just going to say it: I like Divya.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I couldn't even read the answers to the question on the messy husband because the idea stressed me out so much. Since it was written by Divya, I'm sure it was excellent.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This is #tbt, apparently. But I just wanted to give a shout out to Katya for this.
You don't have to impose social ostracism and other invented punishments to make sure that people are properly punished for their sins. Sins already have their own, self-contained punishments. (That's why they're sins; wickedness is not happiness.) This young mother is going to have a very difficult road ahead of her, emotionally, physically, and financially. If you choose to shun her, she may become bitter about the shallow, hypocritical nature of the Mormons around her. A little Christlike love will probably go farther towards helping her put her life back together.
I think my mother (who was in high school, not college) really, really lucked out that she was in the ward she was in. She internalized enough of a negative self-image without being ostracized. She was able to "put her life back together," and I really believe that the compassion and down-to-earth attitude of her home ward went a long way.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Portia wrote:This is #tbt

You know, I see this all the time, especially on Facebook, but I have no idea what it means, and I'm too lazy to look it up. Care to enlighten me?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Throwback Thursday (I just looked it up!). Wellllll okay then.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This was cool. My photography teacher said an important difference between human vision and the camera lens is the lack of depth perception. She said to close one eye before we take a shot to get an idea of how our shot might turn out. (This explains the phenomenon of tangency, which I actually had a lot of fun playing with on purpose.)
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

This question about What Would I Say? So funny. I got gems like "I'll eat them on Friday" and "Guess he knows he's seriously the best game of tantrums today."
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Honeymonsoon. Good answers, and I especially liked Concealocanth pointing out that it is okay to read Lolita. :D Isn't this the third question like this?
Portia

Post by Portia »

This one's for Tally. :P
Portia

Post by Portia »

Instantly thought of The Princess Diaries when I read the "SHUT. UP." question.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

The one about the smile. Divya and Maven did a great job! I really hope the woman who wrote the question takes their advice and goes to couple's counseling, because I mean, seriously. If there *isn't* an underlying, non-physical issue (which I doubt), then at least the husband needs to learn that it is not okay to constantly criticize someone* and then claim to love them. Like... honestly. Maven and Divya, I am so proud of you two for not just going on a rampage because reading that question was so infuriating!

*Originally wrote "someone's looks," but really, any criticism. That's so ridiculous.