Yarn crafty help

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Yarn crafty help

Post by Dragon Lady »

So, normally I'd ask on Facebook for this, but as it's for my brother who follows me on Facebook, I can't.

I'm making Brother a beard hat. I've already crocheted the hat and the beard/mustache. However, I'd really like the beard part to be detachable so it's not just a gag gift. (The hat really is a nice hat.) I'm trying to decide the best way to attach it. I want something that will leave the hat wearable and comfortable when the beard isn't attached. So buttons are out. I don't want to leave buttonholes nor a button inside the hat. I've considered snaps. My mom suggested a hook, with the hook on the beard side. I worry that maybe that's not sturdy enough if someone gives it a good tug. I'm fine with it popping off, but I don't want it to bend the hook and make it not wearable in future.

Ideas?
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Yarn crafty help

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Can you just put the buttons on the outside of the hat? Of course, it depends on what kind of hat it is, but I figger that if it's a beanie kind of thing, then buttons on the ear flaps (I hope it has ear flaps) would not be out of place.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Safety pins.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I think if you put 2 hooks/loops on each side, I would think it would be strong enough. Also, it's not too tough to replace a hook if it does get damaged.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Portia

Post by Portia »

You can share your post with everyone but your family on Facebook, FWIW.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Gio: No ear flaps. Sadly. But I don't think he'd wear ear flaps.
Katya: Except then I'd have to expect him to know where to hook it on again and actually do it. I'm not sure I want to expect that.
II: I considered that. But I hate mending. With a burning fiery passion. I need to get over that.
Portia: But i'm also friends with his former roommate and good friend. And I don't trust his secrecy. :)

I ended up just buying snaps. We'll see how long it takes me to actually sew them on. :S He's going to Samoa the day after Christmas, so I don't think he *needs* a hat right away.