Utah "Count My Vote" Initiative

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
wryness

Utah "Count My Vote" Initiative

Post by wryness »

So, I hadn't really heard about "Count My Vote" until someone approached me today with a petition for it--but I don't listen to the news every day, either. Here's the webpage, if you haven't already heard of it: countmyvoteutah.org/facts/

I've been reading some news articles about "Count My Vote" as well, trying to figure out the pros and cons, and what I don't understand is how opponents of the initiative are saying it will be putting power into the hands of the rich. If we are electing officials by a direct vote, how does that favor the wealthy? I guess they could be arguing that the general populace will follow rich people's political commercials with sheeplike obedience, but maybe I am missing something.
Violet

Re: Utah "Count My Vote" Initiative

Post by Violet »

Yeah, I don't get the opposition either. I've looked for good sources, but I haven't found any.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Given that this is a widely bipartisan initiative, I don't think the opposition have much of a leg to stand on other than "I like things the way they are."
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

The argument as far as I understand it is that it is far easier to buy an election when larger portions of the populace vote, because they are generally disinterested and simply more likely to vote for the candidate they've heard of, something that favors incumbents and candidates institutionally backed (which means more money.)

While I think there's some truth to that, I think far more likely the case is that a small, politically motivated group has a strangle hold on Utah politics and can destroy candidates, even old-guard institution people (like Bob Bennett) if they don't fall in line. It is a question of a group in power wanting to maintain their power, and twisting the narrative any way they can to convince others that it is a good idea.
Deus ab veritas