Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Whistler »

It pegged me pretty accurately as a California Bay Area dialect.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Whoa...I was pretty sure it would be able to get somewhere in the Midwest for me, but it got my exact hometown. Nice!
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

It wasn't even close for me, but to be fair, I don't speak anything like most people where I grew up.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

A text from my dad today (in their SLC ward, which includes the Hollands, btw): "A couple of women wore pants today. No one ostracized them!"
Portia

Post by Portia »

A wonderful homage to some excellent cartoonists.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I will have you all know that it told me that I'm from Gilbert/Chandler, Mesa/Tempe, and Scottsdale. Which are all within the same area (like, everything east of Phoenix).

Apparently, the kicker was saying that we have drive-through liquor stores in my area, but no specific name for them.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

It got that I was in Texas, but it didn't get anywhere near my city (It narrowed down to Dallas/Austin/Laredo. Those places have such different dialects and are SO FAR from each other and me). Darn my theater training!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I was surprised that it got so close for me (SLC). I pick up dialect bits from everywhere.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I was surprised that it got so close for me (SLC). I pick up dialect bits from everywhere.
I wonder if Provo is considered part of the SLC metro area for the purposes of this survey. I have never noticed a difference in dialect between the two places.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

It pegged SLC for me. *shrugs* I've never actually lived there, but I didn't pick up a lot of dialectal words from my home state. The next two were places in California. Which. I've never even been to.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Laser Jock wrote:It wasn't even close for me, but to be fair, I don't speak anything like most people where I grew up.
So I had "We've Got Elegance" running through my head from Hello, Dolly! when I read this. Please adopt a Cary Grant Translatlantic accent for me.
Giovanni Schwartz

Portia wrote:I wonder if Provo is considered part of the SLC metro area for the purposes of this survey. I have never noticed a difference in dialect between the two places.
I'm going to guess based solely on the fact that it distinguished between Mesa and Gilbert (two very similar, very close places) for me that it would probably distinguish between Provo and SLC (an hour-ish apart, and feels more culturally different to me than Mesa/Gilbert).
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Portia wrote:I wonder if Provo is considered part of the SLC metro area for the purposes of this survey. I have never noticed a difference in dialect between the two places.
I'm going to guess based solely on the fact that it distinguished between Mesa and Gilbert (two very similar, very close places) for me that it would probably distinguish between Provo and SLC (an hour-ish apart, and feels more culturally different to me than Mesa/Gilbert).
That actually makes sense. Maybe it sensed that bob is a liberal.

Speaking of Mesa, my boyfriend returned for the first time in a year, and his parents had never seen a photo of me. (!Wut) Reportedly, his father was "shocked by my beauty," which feels like a dig at him. Hahaha. But I'm flattered.
Stego Lily

Post by Stego Lily »

So, it says I have to have a NYTimes subscription to take this test...do y'all have subscriptions, or is it just being weird for me?
Giovanni Schwartz

...it worked for me just fine. And why would I subscribe to news when I can get it for free?

(And that, my friends, is, in one sentence, why the newspaper industry is dead.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Stego Lily wrote:So, it says I have to have a NYTimes subscription to take this test...do y'all have subscriptions, or is it just being weird for me?
Try an incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N) or access it from Facebook or a Google link.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I love the sourced statement on Wikipedia's article on You Didn't Build That:
Wikipedia wrote:The second day of the 2012 Republican National Convention was themed "We Built It" as both a celebration of small businesses and an attack on Obama's comments. Salon, Political Wire, and a humor website later commented on the fact that the stadium where the GOP hosted the "We Built It" theme at the convention was constructed using 62% taxpayer financing.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Stego Lily

Post by Stego Lily »

Huh. I got SLC, Spokane, and Minneapolis.

I'm from Orem, so SLC is a pretty good guess...and...um..I had a roommate from Spokane once? And...I spent about 30 minutes in the Minneapolis airport one time...?

Not sure what the common thread is between those three cities...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I was using Russian in my dream and I said "увидимься" to an old Russian teacher to say goodbye. He made fun of me in the dream for it, and now that I'm awake I can't actually find it in any dictionary. How embarrassing.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Did you mean увидимся?