Online Personalities

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Online Personalities

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

We've all got 'nyms here. I know some of you re-use yours on other sites, some have a distinct username for every community you're part of. I'm wondering your thoughts on each option? Why keep the same 'nym? Why change it up?

I've got a friend who's updating a forum that he used to run and is trying to make it into a full business. I'm really proud of him and want to help out and support him. So far that's been through chatting about business concepts, but now I'm thinking of joining the forum. I get to choose a username and part of me wants to stick with SBS, but part of me wants to choose something totally new.

Input? Advice? Stories? :)
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Online Personalities

Post by Marduk »

I've never felt the need to try and extend beyond Marduk, for Marduk encompasses all. His power knows no bounds.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I've used this username for many things. It's nice that when I'm going back to a site I haven't been to in a while I only have a few options as to what my username could be (I also use my business name as a username, for business sites or just because "Quiet Mischief" was a thing to me before I started the business). But it's also been bad because it's a long username so I have had to come up with a few variations which can be difficult to remember, plus there have been a couple of times I signed up for an account with this username on a site I am now embarrassed to be known as associated with.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I have three? four? different user names that I alternate between. Mostly because it makes things easier to remember. This one is really the only one with a distinct online presence.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I use Portia when I want to be anonymous and firstl when I want to use my real identity.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sometimes I read business-related articles through LinkedIn and shudder at the comments in the comments sections that people leave attached to their real identities.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I mostly just use firstnamelastname. Because for the most part I have no reason to hide my identity. I use it on Game Center because I know everyone I play against (except in the very few random instances that I play online, but it's not like a jerkface slimeball. I have no concerns about someone I randomly play with knowing my name. My email address is my real name because it's easier to remember and more professional. In other places I use nyms, like the Board. And when I played Ticket to Ride online, but only because that was before I made the transition to my real name. And I used niffler there. Because turns out, Dragon Lady gets taken all the time.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Dragon Lady wrote:... Because turns out, Dragon Lady gets taken all the time.
Which is a little strange, considering that "A Dragon Lady is usually a stereotype of East Asian women as strong, deceitful, domineering or mysterious." (Wikipedia article). According to the Urban slang dictionary
dragon lady
A slang referencing the once First Lady of Vietnam, who was known to control her husband, and hence, controlling Vietnam. Tends to be used towards Asian women who are in position of power. Their traits are aggressive, intimidating, calculating, high-achiever. But generally, they are also intelligent and beautiful.
Jesus, here comes the Dragon Lady so pretend you're busy.
Or are they thinking of the nickname for the Lookheed U-2 spy plane?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

It was a cartoon, too. Someone sent it to me once.

Clearly I have a secret personality hiding inside of me. Maybe I should be more deceitful and domineering on here...
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Dragon Lady wrote:It was a cartoon, too. Someone sent it to me once.

Clearly I have a secret personality hiding inside of me. Maybe I should be more deceitful and domineering on here...
I suppose that was Terry and the Pirates? I used to read that comic strip every now and then. Dragon Lady was the woman villain. I didn't read enough of it to really follow it, though.

It is hard to tell about the deceitful, calculating, controlling villainesses. Part of the deceit is that they don't let you know they are the villainesses. Well, apparently being beautiful and intelligent makes up for these slight defects of character.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

This is the only place I use this 'nym. Actually, this is the only place on the internet besides Facebook where I'm actually social (recommending books to strangers on Goodreads doesn't count), but I do have a username for the various accounts that I pick up, with few exceptions.
I use Dead Cat here because that was the first 'nym I used to submit to the Board. Since I thought it was weird outside of a curiosity context, I had my gmail become something else, and that's what I've used ever since.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde