Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Tally M.

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Tally M. »

S.A.M. wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75834/

Seriously impressed Divya was able to find the movie played nearly 20 years ago. Nice.
Special Collections has hard copies of most of the Daily Universe up until about 2010.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Regarding the Chicago question, I just want to say that one of the best things that ever happened to me was when they opened a Portillo's Hot Dogs (as mentioned in the answer) right near ASU, and pretty close to my house. Because I freaking love that restaurant.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75723/

I don't always agree with you, GA, but I really liked this answer.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Regarding the Chicago question, I just want to say that one of the best things that ever happened to me was when they opened a Portillo's Hot Dogs (as mentioned in the answer) right near ASU, and pretty close to my house. Because I freaking love that restaurant.
chocolate cake shake.

This is why all the stereotypes of Chicagoans are chubby.
Integrating Editor

Post by Integrating Editor »

I appreciated Genuine Article's response too. I've had too many people dismiss my desire to go to the temple based on my age and the fact that I am neither engaged or going on a mission. None of those things are things I can control, and yet the blessings of the temple will be withheld from me for a while because of them. (My bishop has confirmed that it won't be happening for me anytime soon.)
Violet

Post by Violet »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75723/

I don't always agree with you, GA, but I really liked this answer.
Quoting to share my agreement. This answer is fantastic.
Amity

Post by Amity »

I will add a fourth witness to the awesometude of Genuine Article's answer. As for her Point D, I also wish the temple endowment weren't tied to closely to other events like marriages or missions. Too often it's seen as a box you check on your way to doing this other big thing rather than something you prepare for in and of itself.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Amity wrote:I will add a fourth witness to the awesometude of Genuine Article's answer. As for her Point D, I also wish the temple endowment weren't tied to closely to other events like marriages or missions. Too often it's seen as a box you check on your way to doing this other big thing rather than something you prepare for in and of itself.
Fifth witness. I really really really loved it.

My own perspective on preparing for the rest of my life is focusing on preparing to go through the temple, not preparing to get married. I don't know when either will happen, but I feel like it's better for me to focus on the temple (which will in turn prepare me for marriage)
Giovanni Schwartz

thatonemom wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Regarding the Chicago question, I just want to say that one of the best things that ever happened to me was when they opened a Portillo's Hot Dogs (as mentioned in the answer) right near ASU, and pretty close to my house. Because I freaking love that restaurant.
chocolate cake shake.

This is why all the stereotypes of Chicagoans are chubby.

YES THIS
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

And another vote for GA! I got my endowment when I was 23, had no prospects for marriage (I think I was on the Board, but hadn't even met Yellow yet), and wasn't planning on a mission. My bishop wanted me to wait until I was 24, which I was fine with, until he found out that I was planning on going to Jerusalem the following summer and wanted me to have the blessings of the temple while I was there. So he let me go the fall previous. The only reason he wanted me to wait, though, was based on a letter from the church that recommended that people not planning an immediate marriage or mission wait until then.

Though, on the flip side, I have had many discussions about why you can go through the temple earlier with marriage/mission, but not without them, and the best answer I've gotten boiled down to the fact that both in mission and marriage you have a companion that is with you much/all of the time. So when trials become hard and the stakes are higher (having made higher covenants), you have someone committed to help you keep those covenants. Whereas if you are single, such a situation is far less guaranteed. I like that speculation on the topic. It has sense to it.

(edited for clarity)
Last edited by Dragon Lady on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75766/

I can't speak for the other no-mascot teams, but University of Illinois lost theirs (Chief Illinwek) because it was deemed to be in violation of the NCAA's policies about Native American mascots.

(Also, this answer is amazing.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75858/

I gave Yellow a thumb just for writing an answer that referenced "windmill technicians." (I must confess, though, that before I clicked on the link I had in mind wooden windmills, which would probably be an even more specialized field.)
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75766/

I can't speak for the other no-mascot teams, but University of Illinois lost theirs (Chief Illinwek) because it was deemed to be in violation of the NCAA's policies about Native American mascots.

I kind of died inside when I saw that answer because I can't even imagine the time that went into it. I also am not into sports in the slightest, so that made it look even more impressive. Glad she wanted to do it. She did an insanely good job.
Violet

Post by Violet »

The time... Definitely an impressive answer in that respect.

I really enjoyed this question and the resulting answers. It also reminded me of some great music I haven't listened to in a while.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I've invested lots of time into big questions like that before. I was super impressed with that answer. Well done! (Though, I admit I didn't read most of it because I'm not a sports person. But I could recognize the kind of effort that takes.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

I liked that answer to the tune of sharing it on Facebook.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75313/

I didn't have an answer for this at the time. But I finally gave in and realized mine is "What Makes You Beautiful." If I have nothing in particular to whistle, that automatically is what comes to mind. It's almost always in my head....
Giovanni Schwartz

I have had "Now Let Us Rejoice" stuck in my head for at least the last four and a half years.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Concorde wrote:

I kind of died inside when I saw that answer because I can't even imagine the time that went into it. I also am not into sports in the slightest, so that made it look even more impressive. Glad she wanted to do it. She did an insanely good job.
I also learned that a team's name is not necessarily the same as its mascot (even when the name could conceivably be a mascot).
Giovanni Schwartz

Example: The Stanford Cardinal, which is apparently the meaning "The color red" and not the bird or the Catholic dude. Their mascot is a dancing Christmas tree.