Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Katya wrote:I will be so happy when this month is over and my life settles down to just normal busy.
This. This is how I feel about trying to finish the tutorial booklet that STILL isn't done.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

For all of you (us) who took that New York Times dialect quiz, here's an article on how it came about (it also explains the methodology, a bit): http://knightlab.northwestern.edu/2014/ ... t-in-2013/
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
Katya wrote:I will be so happy when this month is over and my life settles down to just normal busy.
This. This is how I feel about trying to finish the tutorial booklet that STILL isn't done.
I bet. But, as one of the people who ordered the book, don't stress about it on my behalf. :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

I was having an emotionally charged night--had just seen a film about a brother and sister with suicidal tendencies who had never really recovered from their father's suicide. I was waiting for a cab in Smith's when I saw a wad of cash at the self-checkout. I immediately ask everyone there if they've dropped it. A couple of people tried to take it when it wasn't theirs. Then a guy could name the denominations, so I gave it to him. He didn't even say thank you, and he didn't even really look me in the eyes. It was about $50. I know that life isn't about me being special or owing Portia a cookie, but it was my birthday, and confirmed my native misanthropy. I don't think you should do good actions for emotional reward or social recognition, but dang, people are rude, sometimes.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

My mom has been found not guilty of burglary of a habitation. Just when we thought we could breathe, my niece has been picked up for some as yet to be discerned criminal act (she's bi-polar and is off her meds right now).

At least my mom isn't going to jail!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Imogen wrote:My mom has been found not guilty of burglary of a habitation. Just when we thought we could breathe, my niece has been picked up for some as yet to be discerned criminal act (she's bi-polar and is off her meds right now).

Hooray! To the happy part anyway.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I created a Khan Academy account for my second-grade daughter and she spent about 45 minutes watching the first four videos and doing the exercise problems. This is great. The points and badges for motivation really seem to work.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:My mom has been found not guilty of burglary of a habitation. Just when we thought we could breathe, my niece has been picked up for some as yet to be discerned criminal act (she's bi-polar and is off her meds right now).

Yikes! (And whew!)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:I created a Khan Academy account for my second-grade daughter and she spent about 45 minutes watching the first four videos and doing the exercise problems. This is great. The points and badges for motivation really seem to work.
I love Khan Academy. (I need to look into their computer programming module, although these days I'm more focused on Duolingo.)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

When the flip did I get so smooth? I've managed to talk to a guy I've wanted to talk to for a really long time, get two guys' numbers at a party, *and* ask a random guy on a date (not completely random, but I don't know him from anywhere else).

Actually, I think I have an answer. I dress nice not for others, but because I feel more confident. I feel good when I look good. And when I feel good, I act like I can do anything. And it's great.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Tally M. wrote:When the flip did I get so smooth? I've managed to talk to a guy I've wanted to talk to for a really long time, get two guys' numbers at a party, *and* ask a random guy on a date (not completely random, but I don't know him from anywhere else).

Actually, I think I have an answer. I dress nice not for others, but because I feel more confident. I feel good when I look good. And when I feel good, I act like I can do anything. And it's great.
I learned that when I moved to BYU and got a hairdresser roommate. I always had awesome, new haircuts. And turns out, new hair cuts make me feel a lot more confident in myself. I got more dates after that than ever before in my life. Times 5.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

i cut my hair.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I haven't cut my hair in about 3 years now. And I feel great.
Deus ab veritas
Amity

Post by Amity »

I cut my hair, too. Well, technically I paid someone else to cut it for me.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I want to cut mine soon. I like my hair shorter a lot better. But I have this fear that if I cut it then it won't be long enough to pull back when I have this baby, and I don't want hair falling in my face during labor. Is that a lame reason? Especially as it's still fish months away?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

How long is a fish month?
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Fiveish.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Ugh. I hate autocorrect sometimes. It's actually 4 ish months.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I know that the MBTI is probably not super reliable, but I thought that this chart of Disney heroines was pretty accurate. (I'm definitely in the bottom middle.) What I found fascinating is that the submissive women of olden times tended to be introverts, whereas the "spunky" (I hate that word, and I'm pretty much the poster child for spunkiness. You'd never call an extroverted or high-energy man spunky) extroverted heroines are all modern. This leads me to believe that we increasingly value extrovertedness as a society and devalue introvertedness, especially among women. I commented to my boyfriend that Frozen seemed to be a lot about the conflict between extroverts and introverts. (I think Anna and Hans are clearly the former, and Elsa and Kristoff are just as clearly the latter.) Not to spoil the movie, but suffice it to say that being one or the other doesn't make you a good or bad person.