Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
UffishThought

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by UffishThought »

Just saw World's End! It was great. I do love that cornetto triology. Plus, this one's violence was even more cartoony than usual, so I was okay watching it unedited. Wooo, no real gore!
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I just read Anne of Green Gables for the first time. I grew up watching the movies but had never read the book, and I'm so glad I finally did.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I remember loving the book. And the next. But then the next... 4 or so (I have two giant books with three books in each, I think) totally lost my interest. I should try them again. I just got them on my Kindle for free. And I have the giant books. Might as well.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:I remember loving the book. And the next. But then the next... 4 or so (I have two giant books with three books in each, I think) totally lost my interest. I should try them again. I just got them on my Kindle for free. And I have the giant books. Might as well.
I used the link you shared after someone commented on it (I think). It might have been $0.99 by the time I got to it, but still a good deal. I love Gilbert Blythe.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Saw the Greek Olympic athletes enter the opening ceremonies first, as Greece always is. Their gloves had rainbow fingers. Wonder if it was a subtle defiance to Russia's anti-gay stance.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

my friend was wearing rainbow gloves yesterday, maybe there's a connection!
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Community season 5 started off a bit bumpy but it has really come around. Last two episodes were great.
Digit

Post by Digit »

A sculpture of a middle-aged guy in his briefs sleepwalking in the snow. It sure looks realistic. Some people have serious skills. Made out of bronze, apparently. But it looks so much like real skin with real hair and real undies.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I finished season three of Sherlock. :shock:
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I'm also reading The Portrait of Dorian Gray for an online book club.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Katya wrote:I finished season three of Sherlock. :shock:
That last episode was such a rollercoaster of emotion.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Watched Great Gatsby. I thought the narration was a little clunky and the CGI a little off-putting, but I loved the parties and characters and the way it sucked you into the drama and opulence and excitement of it--made it relatable and understandable instead of boring and stupidly preventable. (Well, it was still stupidly preventable, but they were stupid in ways that made sense.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:
Yep. At first I thought they were trying to reset the story in some stupid ways, but they didn't take the easy way out (and in fact even laid the foundation for the plot twists pretty well, in hindsight). I also think that some of the plot points may be a sideways reference to some of Conan Doyle's shortcomings as an author, which is hilarious.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Katya wrote:
Tally M. wrote:
Yep. At first I thought they were trying to reset the story in some stupid ways, but they didn't take the easy way out (and in fact even laid the foundation for the plot twists pretty well, in hindsight). I also think that some of the plot points may be a sideways reference to some of Conan Doyle's shortcomings as an author, which is hilarious.

Speaking of Doyle's shortcomings, please enjoy this section of the article on one of his stories--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Advent ... wamp_adder. My family's been making fun of that story for as long as I can remember, and the (famous, well-respected) herpetologist that writes that second paragraph with such a straight face makes me wish I spent more time with herpetologists.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

lol nice
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

UffishThought wrote:
Katya wrote:
Tally M. wrote: That last episode was such a rollercoaster of emotion.

Speaking of Doyle's shortcomings, please enjoy this section of the article on one of his stories--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Advent ... wamp_adder. My family's been making fun of that story for as long as I can remember, and the (famous, well-respected) herpetologist that writes that second paragraph with such a straight face makes me wish I spent more time with herpetologists.
This was one of the first stories of his I ever read.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-male- ... in-movies/
Warning, contains (as my friend put it) "disgusting words." But it's pretty hysterical.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-male- ... in-movies/
Warning, contains (as my friend put it) "disgusting words." But it's pretty hysterical.
Bahahahahaha
Digit

Post by Digit »

This is the background music during every 1980's movie montage with an underdog hero training to beat his/her foe :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Cool handmade mini V12 that took 1,200 hours to make. I wish I had the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do that. I love mechanics.