Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Dragon Lady »

UffishThought wrote:I tried alum. Hurts like crazy is right. And no appreciable difference.
Shame. Well, now I know not to ever try it again. The other thing she recommended was probiotics. She specifically recommended it in yogurt, but knowing what I know now, I'd say just to buy liquid probiotics. Way more quantity. And it tastes just as yummy, but you only need a spoonful. That one wouldn't hurt at all, and worst case, it doesn't help your canker sores, but it does help your overall health.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

the research I've read on yogurt (like this http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v29/n ... 2880a.html) finds that yogurt can help obese people lose weight, and it can help infants with diarrhea stop pooping so much and gain some weight (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 1010.short). In lactose-intolerant populations, yogurt is a diary product that is more well-tolerated than milk because yogurt is partially autodigesting. ANYWAY, yogurt is awesome (although there is no evidence that it can help canker sores http://www.foundhealth.com/acidophilus- ... tics/usage). Also, I'm disappointing that I didn't find the original study I was looking for, but I learned a lot more about yogurt in the process.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Whistler wrote:the research I've read on yogurt (like this http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v29/n ... 2880a.html) finds that yogurt can help obese people lose weight, and it can help infants with diarrhea stop pooping so much and gain some weight (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 1010.short). In lactose-intolerant populations, yogurt is a diary product that is more well-tolerated than milk because yogurt is partially autodigesting. ANYWAY, yogurt is awesome (although there is no evidence that it can help canker sores http://www.foundhealth.com/acidophilus- ... tics/usage). Also, I'm disappointing that I didn't find the original study I was looking for, but I learned a lot more about yogurt in the process.
Yogurt is awesome. It's also fermented, so you get the benefits from that, too. Niffler Baby eats 1-3 yogurts a day. Which is great, because she won't drink milk. And I think she's slightly lactose-intolerant. If I drank it while I was nursing, she'd get gassy. She also loves cheese. Between the two of them she's gained weight dramatically since August. And she doesn't seem to have any side-effects from it.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Ok, fine bismark. I'll reply, even though you didn't give any commentary with the link to encourage me to click it.

I just wrote my sis-in-law on her mission and she asked about the new HP movie (the one about Newt Scamander). I didn't have anything new to tell her there, but I did tell her about this new announcement. I gave my opinion in that:

New Harry Potter news, though: JK Rowling just made a statement where she admitted (paraphrased), "In hind sight, Harry and Hermione should have gotten together. Ron and Hermione will end up in counseling. I had a vision of Ron and Hermione together at the very beginning, so I kept with it for personal reasons. Not because that would have realistically happened. Hermione is super smart and would have fallen for the hero. Not the lazy sidekick." Remember, totally paraphrased. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Because I totally love Harry and Ginny. And really, Ron and Hermione. I guess my feelings boil down to this: If she had written it that way, I totally would have been fine with it. But she didn't. She wrote it the other way. And I like it that way, too. So maybe it *should* have been that way, but it wasn't. So I'm cool with it.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hermione is too good for either of them.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:Hermione is too good for either of them.
That's actually probably true. :)
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76211/

And a paper bag disguise to protect Squirrel's identity!
Squirrel paper bag disguise
Squirrel paper bag disguise
SquirrelIndentitySecure.png (236.04 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
Portia

Post by Portia »

Building pages in Drupal. Thanks, the Board, for making it less scary!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

When someone tweets me telling me I'm using a hashtag wrong. #petpeeve #descriptivist
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Grrrr! Twice now in the last week or so I've had questions rejected because someone asked a similar question just an hour or two before me! And I thought I had an obsession with the board...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Thatonemom said something about a "peepee teepee" and I had no idea what it was, so of course I googled it.

Now facebook is trying to sell them to me.
Deus ab veritas
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

[img]
Tally%20M. wrote:When%20someone%20tweets%20me%20telling%20me%20I'm%20using%20a%20hashtag%20wrong.%20#petpeeve%20#descriptivist
[/img]

Well were you using it wrong?
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Wow, what the heck phone?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

*I* didn't think so.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

S.A.M. wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76211/

And a paper bag disguise to protect Squirrel's identity!
SquirrelIndentitySecure.png
That was such a good idea! I should have done that.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Woke up about an hour and half later than I was supposed to this morning. Turns out my alarm clock was set for 7 pm instead of 7 am. Here's to hoping this doesn't throw off my entire day.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Costco has weird milk jugs, in my opinion.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Digit wrote:Costco has weird milk jugs, in my opinion.
They're different from normal milk jugs? I mean, they come in a box. But the jugs themselves I haven't noticed any difference in compared to, say, milk jugs from Smiths.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The Costco I go to has jugs like the one on the right. I'm used to the style on the left.
The so-called "square jugs" need to be poured much more carefully, as for a given tilt, their stream comes out much wider than the bell style. Seems there are others who feel as I do. That's not to say it's that big a deal to me, I just prefer them not.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Interesting! My CostCo milk is still shaped like the one on the left. We haven't gotten any weird square jugs. Yet. [crosses fingers]