Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Marduk »

UffishThought wrote:P.S. Urinetown is fantastic.
I've only seen one production of this, and unfortunately it was the Hale's. I was not too impressed. (I enjoyed the script, though.)
Deus ab veritas
Digit

Post by Digit »

Should've made it about an entire country that way and called it Urine Nation.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Actually, I've only seen it once and it was at the Hale, too. But I've been enjoying the soundtrack for many years.

And I think the whole world is in the same water-scarcity boat: "urinetown" is just the name of the town where it's rumored they take you if you break the laws about when and where you can use the bathroom.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Good advice about letting oneself be vulnerable after breakups. It unfortunately applies to me this week so it's what I needed to hear.

And this is kind of cheesy but Anne is one of those poster children for "how is she single?" She's very pretty, seems ambitious and well-spoken, and unlike, say, her brother, is conservative without being, um, we'll say "abrasive" about it. :P

I choose to believe it's because she's actually deeply, nefariously evil. Handling the demands of hacking into databases/spying on us in our sleep/kicking puppies just doesn't leave her the time or energy for something as bourgeois as dating. Because the answer that the men of our generation are commitment-phobic pussies is banal and depressing.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:Good advice about letting oneself be vulnerable after breakups. It unfortunately applies to me this week so it's what I needed to hear.

And this is kind of cheesy but Anne is one of those poster children for "how is she single?" She's very pretty, seems ambitious and well-spoken, and unlike, say, her brother, is conservative without being, um, we'll say "abrasive" about it. :P

I choose to believe it's because she's actually deeply, nefariously evil. Handling the demands of hacking into databases/spying on us in our sleep/kicking puppies just doesn't leave her the time or energy for something as bourgeois as dating. Because the answer that the men of our generation are commitment-phobic pussies is banal and depressing.
"Remember that dating is, to some extent, a numbers game. Ideally, you'll break up (or be broken up with by, or fall apart with) every person you ever date except one. Yeah, it's going to be a pain to get to that point, but just remember that having many "failed" relationships isn't really the end of the world. After all, you only need one that will ultimately succeed."

=

"You only need one; if he's the right one."

Name that movie. (ok, in context they're not saying the same thing. But it's what it made me think of anyway.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

She stole that saying from your husband.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:She stole that saying from your husband.
:) True. But I'm sure he wasn't the first to say it, either.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76211/

I always like it when Squirrel gets to answer questions about dirt. (Or rather, soil. :) )
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Dragon Lady wrote: "You only need one; if he's the right one."

Name that movie.
Apparently Kirsten Dunst as Amy in Little Women says, “You only need one if he’s the right one.”
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

vorpal blade wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote: "You only need one; if he's the right one."

Name that movie.
Apparently Kirsten Dunst as Amy in Little Women says, “You only need one if he’s the right one.”
Very good. Googling, I'm guessing. :)

She was specifically talking about how you don't need scores of suitors, though. You only need one, if he's the right one. So it's a totally different context.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Dragon Lady wrote: Very good. Googling, I'm guessing. :)
That's right.
Portia

Post by Portia »

What are some things I could do to be more memorable (without going crazy, such as dying my hair bright pink)?

Things just got cray-cray! #Only@BYU
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76211/

I always like it when Squirrel gets to answer questions about dirt. (Or rather, soil. :) )
Thanks! I really like answering those questions. Dirt, soil, it's all the same to me, but I was using the terms like how we're supposed to use them in the classroom.
Portia

Post by Portia »

There's an incredibly long, detailed Wikipedia article on "Have a nice day".
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I remember in middle school the announcements lady would always finish with "make it a great day, or not: the choice is yours."
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Mine too! I think it must have been a school thing.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76359/

Thanks Concealocanth. Good answer.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I didn't know that Concorde chose her name from the Paris metro stop. Awesome!

Looking at a map, the stops with the most memories were the RER stop Avenue Henri Martin, which would be super random, and one that actually would be cool, Iéna, but dealing with accents on the Board can be a pain; at least it was in 1.0.

I'll never forget wandering around looking for a laundromat near Iéna. Also, that stop is the best for art museums.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Hah, yep! Place de la Concorde was my favorite stop-- there was this awesome band that used to play in the tunnels, it was where I fell (literally) head over heels onto a handsome French solider in uniform and it was where a random Asian man tried to push me onto the tracks in front of a train. :) Good times were had there.

And I hated the RER! I always had to take it back to the banlieue where my host mother lived and it was almost the last stop on the line. I would always get home really late and the weirdest creeps would be out. They would always ask for a light for their cigarettes and then when I shook my head (to avoid giving away my American accent) or just more commonly ignored them and walked on by they somehow knew I was American and would start harassing me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Concorde wrote:Hah, yep! Place de la Concorde was my favorite stop-- there was this awesome band that used to play in the tunnels, it was where I fell (literally) head over heels onto a handsome French solider in uniform and it was where a random Asian man tried to push me onto the tracks in front of a train. :) Good times were had there.

And I hated the RER! I always had to take it back to the banlieue where my host mother lived and it was almost the last stop on the line. I would always get home really late and the weirdest creeps would be out. They would always ask for a light for their cigarettes and then when I shook my head (to avoid giving away my American accent) or just more commonly ignored them and walked on by they somehow knew I was American and would start harassing me.
Hahaha wut.

If anyone needs proof that I am a Lucky Person and Concorde is not, look up the 16th arrondissement, and look up the banlieues. >:-)