Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76501/
I'd reinstate the parking fee . . .
I <3 Urban Planning-fulness.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I remember when I first moved to BYU parking had a fee and UTA was free. I lived almost 2 miles from campus with a bus stop really close, so I took the free bus and never bought a parking pass. I loved it. I was So Sad the day I found out they were switching those.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:I remember when I first moved to BYU parking had a fee and UTA was free. I lived almost 2 miles from campus with a bus stop really close, so I took the free bus and never bought a parking pass. I loved it. I was So Sad the day I found out they were switching those.
I remember those days too! #goldenage #butsrsly
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

UVU is taking an interesting approach, in that most of its parking is pay, but it has a single lot of about 2,000 spaces that is free. BYU could do something similar, leaving the stadium lot free for those willing to hike, and make the rest pay.
Deus ab veritas
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Unfortunately, the decision about free parking comes from either the First Presidency or the Quorum of the 12 (somebody feels strongly that students should not have to pay for it), so it probably won't change anytime soon.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

yayfulness wrote:Unfortunately, the decision about free parking comes from either the First Presidency or the Quorum of the 12 (somebody feels strongly that students should not have to pay for it), so it probably won't change anytime soon.
Yeah, I think there's also been pushback from Provo City, since limited campus parking pushes the problem onto the surrounding residential streets (a problem UVU doesn't have as much, due to its location). But a scarcity of parking is the right general idea, even if it would require more coordination between the university and the city.

Also, it's weird that sometimes BYU is willing to work with Provo and sometimes they aren't. Free parking helps Provo (in a localized way at least), but taking out Campus Drive has been a mess for the city.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Referring to the HRCB as the Kennedy Center is a nice illustration of synecdoche. I usually call it that and assume people can infer what I mean.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76637/

Very few things make me as happy as learning the technical term for something.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Sort of related.

If any of you have BYU friends, invite them to like our Facebook page!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Only BYU friends, though. No one else. ; )
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Concealocanth
Board Writer

Post by Concealocanth »

GUYS, what does it take to start a good controversy around here??

Any tips would be appreciated.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

MODESTY MEANS COVERING YOUR KNEECAPS AND COLLARBONE AND EVERYTHING EVERY GENERAL AUTHORITY EVER SAID IS MEANT TO BE TAKEN COMPLETELY LITERALLY ESPECIALLY EZRA TAFT BENSON WHEN HE WAS TALKING ABOUT COMMUNISM AND PEOPLE WHO GO TO BYU ARE MORE RIGHTEOUS THAN OTHER PEOPLE ALSO EVEN SAYING THE WORD "SEX" IS EVIL AND IF YOU SAY IT YOU WILL GO TO HECK ALSO YOU CAN'T BE A GOOD MORMON AND A DEMONCRAT OH AND WOMEN ONLY WEAR PANTS TO CHURCH IF THEY ARE APOSTATE.

That sound good? :)
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Also, also! The new cookie dough Oreos are not the delicious experience you might expect and taste like things that are coffee flavored. Clearly there's a hidden coffee agenda in our wholesome, 'Merican Oreos. Think of the children!

(seriously, though, they are disappointingly not tasty)
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Concealocanth wrote:GUYS, what does it take to start a good controversy around here??

Any tips would be appreciated.
Hijack the answers I liked thread.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Well, I can guarantee a question in the inbox, once posted, will ignite a fair share of controversy.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Old Haleakala is Old, I know. #firestorm
Digit

Post by Digit »

"Princeton mom" says women should spend 75% of their time in college looking for a man. :?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I saw a similar post on the YMF group. She has a good point about the fertility clock, but the way she sees single women as simply "spinsters" or cat ladies annoys me (in her letter http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/susan-p ... 25916.html). Plenty of single women have fulfilling lives. It's great to promote motherhood and marrying and having a family, but I think it's rude to diss people who don't choose not to or who can't/haven't had the chance to have that lifestyle.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76757/

Bravo Tally and Anne. I see what you did there. ;)
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76757/

Bravo Tally and Anne. I see what you did there. ;)
Actually, that wasn't entirely intentional...on my part...