Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

http://imgur.com/gallery/90QOnyO

A link for Dragon Lady, mostly because it says Dragon Lady. Because it's from Imgur, the comments have some bad language.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Ummm.... thanks? :)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Trying to help my daughter memorize her addition table so she doesn't keep using her fingers. I found that with me holding a flash card, she felt nervousness as evidenced by the strained look on her face, and it wasn't helping when she got the wrong answer, which added to her feeling bad.

I tried letting her hold the cards, but invariably, without even trying, she kept flipping the cards over to see what the answer was.

I found a way that works for her to not feel the stress and get her to try that seems to work, though. I cut little pieces of paper with all the questions like "3+5", "2+7", etc. and put them into a bowl and let her shake the bowl around and pull out a question. I also printed out the answers like "3+5=8", "2+7=9", etc. on a separate piece of paper, accessible to her, face down. The little game-like aspect of shaking the bowl and pulling a problem seems to reduce the stress that me holding the flash card made for her, while the answer just inconvenient enough on the separate piece of paper gets her to try to remember instead of just seeking out the answer.

Funny how "gamifying" the learning format made such a difference for her; she's doing much better now.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit, how old is your daughter?
Digit

Post by Digit »

She's seven. The funny thing is that she knows the procedure for multi-digit addition with carrying after having watched the Khan Academy videos and doing practice problems, but I noticed that with the exception of adding zero or adding one, which she knows, and a few others she memorized, for each place value pair, she kept on using her fingers or drawing dots on her paper.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Yeah, sure, I can handle your order for 150 bracelets that need to arrive in Australia by March 9! *dies*
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Yeah, sure, I can handle your order for 150 bracelets that need to arrive in Australia by March 9! *dies*
Do you want me to ask my sis-in-law if she's interested in helping again? I have no idea if her schedule is busy or not, but if you want, I could ask.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Not this time. Because of shipping we have to get them all done by like Wednesday, which doesn't leave enough time for handing things off. I've enlisted Random and my mother, though, so I won't actually die.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

Yay, not dying! I hate it when Bob does that.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Took my GRE today, and my unoffical scores make me think I didn't totally suck!!! Feeling pretty good.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Today is the day I most likely would have been giving my homecoming talk had I not come home early. Lots of stuff running through my mind today.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Imogen wrote:Took my GRE today, and my unoffical scores make me think I didn't totally suck!!! Feeling pretty good.
I took the GRE a while ago, and I remember feeling pretty bummed about my verbal score. It turned out I barely made the cutoff for the English master's program! Anyway, good job taking it and it's over now!
Portia

Post by Portia »

All those board writers who hated faux-rustic hipster weddings probably shouldn't go to the Instagram homepage.

"Sometimes you just gotta buy yourself a mason jar full of beautiful @farmgirlflowers"
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Indefinite Integral wrote:Today is the day I most likely would have been giving my homecoming talk had I not come home early. Lots of stuff running through my mind today.
That sounds like a tricky set of emotions to deal with. I hope your day went well.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Katya wrote:
Indefinite Integral wrote:Today is the day I most likely would have been giving my homecoming talk had I not come home early. Lots of stuff running through my mind today.
That sounds like a tricky set of emotions to deal with. I hope your day went well.
Thanks, it was up and down, but I did get to go to my MTC companion's homecoming. She is awesome at making people feel good about themselves, so more good than bad overall, though there were some...less than pleasant moments.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Not this time. Because of shipping we have to get them all done by like Wednesday, which doesn't leave enough time for handing things off. I've enlisted Random and my mother, though, so I won't actually die.
I'm really glad about this. Because I took a several-day break from theboardboard, forgetting I'd asked this. (And will probably take another several-day break again.) And I would have felt really awful had you said you did want help. Yipes.

Also, I'm glad about you not dying.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Not this time. Because of shipping we have to get them all done by like Wednesday, which doesn't leave enough time for handing things off. I've enlisted Random and my mother, though, so I won't actually die.
In related news, my wrist hurts.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Sometimes I love autocorrect because it fixes all my typos. But then sometimes, especially when I'm on a computer and don't have the excuse of a tiny keyboard on my screen, I make a mistake and instead of just fixing it, I keep typing and wait to see if autocorrect will fix it for me.

I fear I'm going to lose my typing skills because of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Yayyy, I just got a new job. Well, the same job (substitute) with a new district. But it's good because it means I get to do another longterm gig.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hooray!