Morals and Videogames

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Morals and Videogames

Post by Whistler »

Hi everyone! I'm doing some research for fun on morals and videogames, and I'd be most happy if you would take a little time to fill out this survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sytWF_ ... Y/viewform

It uses the Moral foundations questionairre: http://www.moralfoundations.org/ and the videogames preferences questionairre comes from this Master's thesis: http://www.veronicazammitto.com/wp-cont ... thesis.pdf. I recently saw a blog post that did a similar survey, but with the political compass, and me and some friends were kind of fascinated but disappointed with the tools they used.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Morals and Videogames

Post by Emiliana »

I started to take this survey, but then when I got to the questions about video games I realized I didn't have opinions about 90% of them, so I stopped. Then I emailed it to my husband.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

thanks!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I think page 3's results might have to get thrown out since the orientation of the agree/disagree spectrum changes from the previous page and I didn't notice until I was halfway through it.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hmm... yeah, a few people have mentioned that to me. I initially wanted to keep it that way because that's how the original tests are situated, but I'll look into making it more consistent.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Sent it to my husband who identifies as a gamer; I don't know if I really do.

The orientation spectrum changing - isn't that on purpose because people doing tests like these can get answer fatigue and start just putting the same answer all the time? So then the survey-maker changes the order of answers to keep people paying attention? That's what I've heard.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Let me put on my social science glasses. The usual technique is to change the orientation of a question within a block, not the direction of the likert scale.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I think it would be helpful to have a question like, how often do you play video games? Also some information about what defines a video game.

I took the test, but I don't actually play video games, unless you call "Wii golf" a video game.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yes, wii golf counts as a videogame! So does tetris or match-3 games or scrabulous. Thanks for taking it guys.

I added a little heads up sentence on page three, so hopefully that will help (without changing the form and stuff, because I'm not familiar enough with google forms to know what that would do to my results page).