flirting

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

flirting

Post by Portia »

Flirting is confusing. If a guy says "hey maybe I'll run into you at Fresh Market sometime!" is he likely just trying to let you down gently?
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Re: flirting

Post by Random »

I agree that flirting is a confusing thing. Apparently I do it all the time with my male coworkers and I have no idea until Marduk tells me. I guess being pleasant and friendly is flirting? Sorry I don't actually know how to answer your question.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia, I'm pretty sure one of our first text conversations was about this. But I have no idea. I usually just go off instinct—hey, he talked to me for awhile and was good at maintaining eye contact. But sometimes I'm kind of a mess and think about it way too much (we knew each other in a previous setting, so was he really just catching up? Or did he want something more?)

Also, I have Random's problem, because apparently I accidentally flirt. Which is weird, because according to other people I don't emote that much to begin with? I don't know. People are weird. I don't always understand them.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Hmm, I think you are going to have to look at the non-verbal communication to figure this out. If he said that while maintaining eye contact, probably flirting. If said while touching your elbow, shoulder, etc., flirting. If said while rolling his eyes, or avoiding eye contact, probably letting you down gently.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I just under-analyze everything when it comes to flirting. It's worked out fairly well for me so far, when coupled with restricting myself to at most mild interest when there are guys who pay attention to me before their intentions become obvious.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Portia

Post by Portia »

Indefinite Integral wrote:restricting myself to at most mild interest when there are guys who pay attention to me
LOL, I don't think there is a universe where this would happen for me.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Portia wrote:
Indefinite Integral wrote:restricting myself to at most mild interest when there are guys who pay attention to me
LOL, I don't think there is a universe where this would happen for me.
Yeah, I'm a bit unusual. I don't think I've had a serious unrequited crush/love interest since 5th grade...
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead