Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Amity

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Amity »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76763/

I love that yayfulness dropped a regression model into that question, because that's exactly what I would have done if I were answering it.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Concealocanth wrote:GUYS, what does it take to start a good controversy around here??

Any tips would be appreciated.
Asking who the best Canadian is but not including TBS in the running! WHAT!
Concealocanth
Board Writer

Post by Concealocanth »

mic0 wrote:
Concealocanth wrote:GUYS, what does it take to start a good controversy around here??

Gasp! Maybe we'll have to have a retrial during alumni week.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

You guys, it's totes me. I'm wearing a shirt with Bob and Doug McKenzie on it right now. There's a maple leaf on it and everything. And I've celebrated Canada Day for the past 14 years.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:

TBS as in The Black Sheep? I thought she was from Las Vegas.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Las Vegas by way of Canada. Just like me!
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Las Vegas by way of Canada. Just like me!
I, for one, welcome our new Canadian overlords! :D
mic0

Post by mic0 »

We just have so many/too many (?)* great Canadians.

*Impossible!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Ok, sorry, that's not true. I'm Orem by way of Canada.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76788/
Ozymandius wrote:It is actually not true that "for hundreds of years only one parent worked." Before 1920, a large percentage of Americans had farms or were involved in agriculture. Anybody who grew up on a farm should know that this is a whole family effort. Not only did both spouses work hard, but children were also expected to significantly contribute to the farm from an early age. Also, even after 1920 and up until the 1950's, because of the lack of automation the responsibilities of the wife were vast and required much of her time. It's true that women did not work out of the home as often (except, perhaps, during World War II), but they worked nonetheless. So I don't think it is fair to state that women working is a recent trend: they have worked through most of history, and only for a few decades because of automation and high US incomes have they been able to spend less time working.
Thank you for addressing this! My head just about exploded when I read the reader's assumption that "for hundreds of years only one parent worked."
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76777/

Nice answer by Divya, especially the part about the difference between "the silent treatment" and needing time to process things. (Although if I had a husband who lectured me about my behavior being "unacceptable," I'd probably give him the silent treatment, too. :roll: )
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76788/
Ozymandius wrote:It is actually not true that "for hundreds of years only one parent worked." Before 1920, a large percentage of Americans had farms or were involved in agriculture. Anybody who grew up on a farm should know that this is a whole family effort. Not only did both spouses work hard, but children were also expected to significantly contribute to the farm from an early age. Also, even after 1920 and up until the 1950's, because of the lack of automation the responsibilities of the wife were vast and required much of her time. It's true that women did not work out of the home as often (except, perhaps, during World War II), but they worked nonetheless. So I don't think it is fair to state that women working is a recent trend: they have worked through most of history, and only for a few decades because of automation and high US incomes have they been able to spend less time working.
Thank you for addressing this! My head just about exploded when I read the reader's assumption that "for hundreds of years only one parent worked."
Also, I like to think that just because it said 2/10 have one parent working doesn't mean the other eight automatically fall into the category of both parents working. Maybe the other 8/10 have neither parent working!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Genuine Article wrote:Also, I like to think that just because it said 2/10 have one parent working doesn't mean the other eight automatically fall into the category of both parents working. Maybe the other 8/10 have neither parent working!
Good point!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76777/

Nice answer by Divya, especially the part about the difference between "the silent treatment" and needing time to process things. (Although if I had a husband who lectured me about my behavior being "unacceptable," I'd probably give him the silent treatment, too. :roll: )
yeah, agreed. Sometimes I notice that my husband can discuss certain topics a lot longer than I'm interested in them, or sometimes talking about it stresses me out too much, and I just say something like "I'm tired of talking about this, can we do it later [when I've had more time to research/process my own opinion]?" I'm a huge fan of being super straightforward though, and maybe other people prefer to pretend that mindreading exists :-).
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76824/

So, so odd, but I laugh every time I see those pictures of bittens/kabies. Thanks for adding some humor to the day Owlet!
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

You're welcome! I saw my answer shared on facebook and I was like "I'm famous!" Then I realized no one actually knows my name, so...less famous...But still. I'm glad you liked it!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Owlet wrote:You're welcome! I saw my answer shared on facebook and I was like "I'm famous!" Then I realized no one actually knows my name, so...less famous...But still. I'm glad you liked it!
The 100 Hour Board: #1 provider of all the anonymous fame you can handle ;)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Owlet wrote:You're welcome! I saw my answer shared on facebook and I was like "I'm famous!" Then I realized no one actually knows my name, so...less famous...But still. I'm glad you liked it!
*chuckles* Sorry about that. or you're welcome. Either way.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Usually I'm fine with speculative doctrine, but this may be going TOO FAR! Although of course Ozy (who has been writing great answers all around) had to take it seriously and give a reasonable answer to a silly question.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Usually I'm fine with speculative doctrine, but this may be going TOO FAR! Although of course Ozy (who has been writing great answers all around) had to take it seriously and give a reasonable answer to a silly question.
Does Lord Byron have to repent of being "mad, bad, and dangerous to know?" He was called out specifically when I went to the St. George temple. I want to go wherever he's going. :-)