Check for unclaimed money

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Re: Check for unclaimed money

Post by Dragon Lady »

I had someone comment on my Facebook status that she got money back from a state she never lived in because that was the state the company was based in, even though she used the company in her home state.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Dragon Lady wrote:So ksl posted an article about unclaimed money in Utah: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=27984475 (Thanks, Whistler, for commenting on that Facebook post so I saw it.) I just checked, just for kicks and giggles, and I have some unclaimed money! (I feel like I'm writing spam here. I'm not! I promise!) It's from when I worked at the Church and lived in Provo. So I'll be sending in that form today and getting myself some money. (Less than $100, but I'll take whatever I can get!)

Check it out for you, parents, grandparents, etc. Anyone that maybe lived in Utah. Ever.
Thank you, Dragon Lady, for posting this. As a result I checked and found that Utah has some money owed to my mother-in-law.

Here is an update. It's good news and bad news. The good news is that we have now learned that Utah has more than $200,000 belonging to my mother-in-law. The bad news is that the state won't give it to her.

It appears that my deceased father-in-law was receiving stock from a company where he used to work, and some of this stock could not be delivered after he died and my mother-in-law moved out of the house to come live with me. The stock was then sent to the state, but because they are not authorized to hold stock they sold it (while the market was down). Not only did they sell the stock that could not be delivered, but they sold all of the stock the family owned, even that which had previously been received and set aside for retirement by my father-in-law.

We went through the process of getting a notary, proof of death, signature of widow, and so forth. They still won't give back the money they stole until all of the stock certificates previously held by my father-in-law can be produced. Which we are having trouble finding and producing.
Portia

Post by Portia »

vorpal blade wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:So ksl posted an article about unclaimed money in Utah: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=27984475 (Thanks, Whistler, for commenting on that Facebook post so I saw it.) I just checked, just for kicks and giggles, and I have some unclaimed money! (I feel like I'm writing spam here. I'm not! I promise!) It's from when I worked at the Church and lived in Provo. So I'll be sending in that form today and getting myself some money. (Less than $100, but I'll take whatever I can get!)

Check it out for you, parents, grandparents, etc. Anyone that maybe lived in Utah. Ever.
Thank you, Dragon Lady, for posting this. As a result I checked and found that Utah has some money owed to my mother-in-law.

Here is an update. It's good news and bad news. The good news is that we have now learned that Utah has more than $200,000 belonging to my mother-in-law. The bad news is that the state won't give it to her.

It appears that my deceased father-in-law was receiving stock from a company where he used to work, and some of this stock could not be delivered after he died and my mother-in-law moved out of the house to come live with me. The stock was then sent to the state, but because they are not authorized to hold stock they sold it (while the market was down). Not only did they sell the stock that could not be delivered, but they sold all of the stock the family owned, even that which had previously been received and set aside for retirement by my father-in-law.

We went through the process of getting a notary, proof of death, signature of widow, and so forth. They still won't give back the money they stole until all of the stock certificates previously held by my father-in-law can be produced. Which we are having trouble finding and producing.
This sucks. Good luck. Do you have an executor/executrix to use a word I just learned?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Because its my in-laws I'm an outsider. My understanding is that everything is in a Trust, so there has been no need for an executer. There was never any question that my living mother-in-law was to get the money. I found using the link Dragon Lady provided that Utah was holding the money in her name. In my opinion they unlawfully sold stocks they didn't have and are using the fact that my in-laws cannot find proof that they owned the stocks Utah sold but didn't have to deny them the money. It doesn't make sense because they couldn't have sold the stocks unless they knew who they belonged to in the first place. But then, we are talking about bureaucrats and nothing has to make sense.

I was told that the oldest son was the executer, but it now turns out that was incorrect. Currently I'm told that there are financial consultants and estate managers, unnamed, who are taking care of things and mind my own business.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

My unclaimed money check came today after I submitted my claim in December. They're really behind because of the KSL story.