Portia wrote:Madison
Madison as in Madison WI?
Yes, sir.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

guys guys guys i'm hypomanic right now
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Hey teacher-friends. I have to do an in-person teaching demonstration (20 minutes, on the subject of my choice) in front of a bunch of 11th grade AP lit students. Any suggestions on that? I've never done a teaching demonstration before, and I'd like to do a good job.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

I'm in 11th grade and I'd suggest that if you want them to pay attention try to make it kind of funny. But don't try too hard... Also, I would suggest coming up with questions that might be asked so that you're prepared. I'm not a teacher but I have given presentations haha...
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Guys! My girlfriend got a job teaching kindergarten next year!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

good for her, and congrats on having a girlfriend
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

UffishThought wrote:Hey teacher-friends. I have to do an in-person teaching demonstration (20 minutes, on the subject of my choice) in front of a bunch of 11th grade AP lit students. Any suggestions on that? I've never done a teaching demonstration before, and I'd like to do a good job.
If the students participate in the evaluation, I vote you have class participation. Otherwise ????
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

UffishThought wrote:Hey teacher-friends. I have to do an in-person teaching demonstration (20 minutes, on the subject of my choice) in front of a bunch of 11th grade AP lit students. Any suggestions on that? I've never done a teaching demonstration before, and I'd like to do a good job.
Well, depending on where it is, I would look on the district website for their evaluation tool (for example Canyons and Jordan districts both use JPAS) which could give you a bit of an idea of what sort of things they are looking for in terms of teacher performance.

I would try to plan something that creates at least some student engagement instead of just lecturing. However, just a warning, this is going to be after their AP test, so those kids are going to be a bit restless. For English, maybe looking at a short story, or literary terms or something like that which requires minimal setup for the students to be able to enter into the conversation. Also, something that you've done before would also be nice. You would be more familiar with how it might turn out. Just my two cents.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Portia wrote:
bismark wrote:Madison as in Madison WI?
Yes, sir.
Ah, my old stomping grounds...
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I'm pretty sure they started back with Paperback Exchange. Or something with a similar name. The idea was to share around books with strangers. There were "drop points" at bus stops, schools, coffee shops, and the like. You'd post that you dropped a book at a location, and it was first-come-first-served basis. You would watch for posts in your area and pick up a book you wanted. So it was more of a swap and swap again, rather than borrow and return. But the idea was pretty similar.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Are you thinking of Book Crossing? http://www.bookcrossing.com/
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Today I learned that the point of the movie clapboard is to help synchronize the film with the audio. I genuinely had no idea.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Katya wrote:Today I learned that the point of the movie clapboard is to help synchronize the film with the audio. I genuinely had no idea.
Ah, that would make sense, having a sharp cue that us on both the film and the sound recording. Match those two up and the whole thing should be good. Cool! I remember Eric Whitacre talking about doing a similar thing for his virtual choir (which, if you haven't seen that yet, you should look it up on YouTube. It's awesome.)
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Violet

Post by Violet »

Katya wrote:Today I learned that the point of the movie clapboard is to help synchronize the film with the audio. I genuinely had no idea.
Clapping also works (but you have to do it like an alligator mouth). The clapboard is most useful when keeping track of takes because then you have the take number also referenced at the beginning of the recording.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Violet wrote:
Clapping also works (but you have to do it like an alligator mouth).
That is actually how I learned about it! I was watching an interview with some Sundance filmmakers and the people doing the interview started out with an alligator mouth clap, and then the interviewees commented about how it was a good idea because it kept the sound and video synchronized and a light bulb went on in my head.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Indefinite Integral wrote:
Ah, that would make sense, having a sharp cue that us on both the film and the sound recording. Match those two up and the whole thing should be good. Cool! I remember Eric Whitacre talking about doing a similar thing for his virtual choir (which, if you haven't seen that yet, you should look it up on YouTube. It's awesome.)
Oh, I have seen his choir, but I didn't even think about how he would have synced all of the voices. Fascinating.
Portia

Post by Portia »

A new writer started at my work today, and she's the type of person I'd like to be really good friends with. She's from the NW, we wrote for the same magazine (different years) at BYU, she's outgoing and funny, and she even is a 100 Hour Board fan. B-) But I'm a little anxious about making a good first impression. Social anxiety -- not just for dating anymore!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

We got another dog! Sort of. Maybe. I helped rescued him from oncoming traffic earlier this week, took him to the vet to get some injuries treated, and this morning we brought him home, but we are still trying to find his owners. He's a Yorkie mix and he is sooooo cute.

We named him Chompsky.

We are kind of proud of that.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

aww