Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

mic0

Re: Answers I liked

Post by mic0 »

They are spot on about houses being less social. The year I lived in a house was great! :D We also got away with having pets (rommates had bunnies/rodents, then I got a rat), which was doubly great.
The Moo

Post by The Moo »

Sounds like it, Portia. Did somebody do a devotional last week on the joys of motherhood with a crying baby in the audience or something?
Amity

Post by Amity »

To be fair, I think a good share of those questions are coming from one extremely stressed-out new mother.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Amity wrote:To be fair, I think a good share of those questions are coming from one extremely stressed-out new mother.
Yeah, that's my impression, too.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77664/

Alice in Wonderland reference FTW!
pillowy

Post by pillowy »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77729/

I agree. Maven's been doing a great job. There have been so many pregnancy/new mom questions lately!
Portia

Post by Portia »

The Moo wrote:Sounds like it, Portia. Did somebody do a devotional last week on the joys of motherhood with a crying baby in the audience or something?
They don't do devotionals spring term. I don't think it's just one person (this was before the stressed mother with a newborn). In any case, I definitely think Mormon women are having fewer children and having them later. I'm just interested whether any of them will decide to be childfree by choice.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:
The Moo wrote:Sounds like it, Portia. Did somebody do a devotional last week on the joys of motherhood with a crying baby in the audience or something?
They don't do devotionals spring term.
. . . They've been doing them this term.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:
They don't do devotionals spring term.
. . . They've been doing them this term.
Yep, they've definitely been doing them. Just in the DeJong
Portia

Post by Portia »

I stand corrected. However, there were two questions on the same day which made me think that having biological children is clearly not for everyone, and that undue pressure could be very harmful. I don't think it should be assumed that you should get pregnant just because you're a woman. And the saga of Stressed Mom Who Submitted 20 Questions in a Week should testify that for some mothers, it does indeed suck, and it's not all kicks and giggles.

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/archives/2014/may/19/
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha, nice
Portia

Post by Portia »

Bookmarked for later reading.
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77765/

I might have to read The Bell Jar (although it could be pretty triggering) and report back.
Violet

Post by Violet »

I enjoyed it. Enough so that I've re-read it multiple times. It's pretty triggering for discussion of depression.

I had never heard the reference the questioner gave, but it surprised me too.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I listened to the entire This American Life episode (it was a good one!) including the ASMR segment, linked in this question.

I found the whispering to be fairly stressful. Tapping and clicking can make me very anxious, too. The hum of electronics and refrigerators makes me go a little Ginsberg-y. I would like them to scan the brains of ASMRers, control group, and people like me.

The only weird sensory thing I get is strong jamais vu and Bloody Mary sensation. It used to happen more when I was younger, though.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia, find someone with access to a MRI machine and funding to pay for this study. I totally get ASMR. The first time I listened to the This American Life episode in question, I made a weird bewildered shout that freaked out my roommates. Finding out it has a name was bizarre, but great. There's a Russian woman who does hair tutorials on youtube that can get me almost every time. I also love the sound of my air conditioner and heater. It's soothing.

Conversely, hearing people breathe quickly can make me panic. I start breathing really shallowly and quickly and get about 3/4ths of the way to a panic attack. Refrigerators and televisions aren't as bad, but when there are two ticking clocks in a room, I can't handle it. I have to leave.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

wow, I had no idea ASMR was a thing. I don't think I've ever experienced it before though.

Portia, what is the bloody mary sensation?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'm catching up on a few days' worth of blogs, and just read this great answer from Owlet on sign languages. Really interesting question, great answer, and interesting comment! All around good to read. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, that was really interesting about how blessings are signed