Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by NerdGirl »

False. I got lost so many times on my way to or from the temple when I lived in Provo, and you can always see the temple there.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

People think I'm Russian (I don't know if I am. Dad was adopted. But I don't think I am.) I wonder if I don't smile enough...
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha. I never made the connection. Clancy Brown, who played the cruel guard on The Shawshank Redemption, also provides the voice of Mr. Krabs.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:People think I'm Russian (I don't know if I am. Dad was adopted. But I don't think I am.) I wonder if I don't smile enough...
I would think that smiling is something that depends on your personality and your environment, but not your DNA. Its a cultural adaptation. I think many Russians have a sense of tragedy and appreciate tragedy more than comedy, and this comes from their history and cultural traditions. But maybe this is just a stereortype.

Oh, I guess you are saying that perhaps you don't smile enough and therefore they think you are Russian. I don't think I make the association that way. If I see a person, unsmiling-like, I don't usually think "Hmm, I think he or she must be Russian."

Reminds me of the Gary Cooper movie, "Along Came Jones."
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I was watching Bollywood songs on Youtube because I do, and I ended up researching one of the names in the songs. It turns out it's one of the names for one of the major gods, and it essentially translates as "cowherd." At first I didn't think that it's a very glamorous name, and I guess it's still not, but I remembered that Christ is called a shepherd, and really that's pretty similar. I wonder how many gods in how many traditions are described as caretakers for animals.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Wikipedia wrote:Cronkite trained himself to speak at a rate of 124 words per minute in his newscasts, so that viewers could clearly understand him.[83] In contrast, Americans average about 165 words per minute, and fast, difficult-to-understand talkers speak close to 200 words per minute.[84]
165 Words per minute for the average American, eh? I wonder what's the average for other nationalities/languages. Whenever I hear a stat, I usually want to know how that compares to related stats. I wonder what my words-per-minute rate is. I've never been told I speak particularly fast or slowly.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I speak very quickly.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

There have been a lot of Language Log posts about speaking rate. Go to the end of this post for a few of them. I think you'd like this one and this one.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Oh, and here is a pretty short article on speech rates cross linguistically.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:I was watching Bollywood songs on Youtube because I do, and I ended up researching one of the names in the songs. It turns out it's one of the names for one of the major gods, and it essentially translates as "cowherd." At first I didn't think that it's a very glamorous name, and I guess it's still not, but I remembered that Christ is called a shepherd, and really that's pretty similar. I wonder how many gods in how many traditions are described as caretakers for animals.
That is interesting.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I've been listening to the top hits of two summers ago. Along with Gotye and Nate Ruess, there's Carly Rae Jepsen and her earworms. In a case of misheard lyrics, I was convinced it was "all the other boys try to change me." (It's "chase me.") My brother said this was a fascinating insight into my psyche. :P
Whistler

Re: Word of the Day

Post by Whistler »

I think my daughter's head is resting on my spine or something, because my back hurts so much right now.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Whenever someone at work talks about the git repository, it always makes me think of Red Dwarf.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Word of the Day

Post by NerdGirl »

Whistler wrote:I think my daughter's head is resting on my spine or something, because my back hurts so much right now.
I read this and was like, how do you not know for sure where her head is? But then I remembered that she is inside you. :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

A friend of mine - who, at the end of last semester, had said she wanted me to do her headshots - posted on FB that she was looking for someone to shoot her junior recital photos. I commented, mentioning that as I was still learning (and taking the possibility of being a photographer seriously) I would be shooting for free for the experience and possible portfolio shots. She went with someone else. The photos have been trickling onto FB for the past couple of days and they're fine, but I can see errors in all of them that are simple to fix either in the shoot or in post production. Like cropping the photo wrong. CROPPING THE PHOTO WRONG. Come on, guys, I knew about rule of thirds by grade school!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Just passed the 200 mark on Goodreads. B-)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Since my family reunion I've had an Australian folk song stuck in my head. It's not at all unpleasant, though it makes me tear up without any discernible reason.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheBlackSheep wrote:Since my family reunion I've had an Australian folk song stuck in my head. It's not at all unpleasant, though it makes me tear up without any discernible reason.
Waltzing Matilda? ;) (That's the only Australian folk song I know.)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

You got it!
Portia

Post by Portia »

There were some LDS Church members who protested against the church's discriminatory practices. Two members, Douglas A. Wallace and Byron Merchant, were excommunicated by the LDS Church in 1976 and 1977 respectively, after criticizing the church's discriminatory practices. - "Black people and Mormonism"
Wish I had known this when I answered a question about this in the '13 reunion.

I think this should give us pause.