What are you passionate about?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
the anglophile

What are you passionate about?

Post by the anglophile »

I'm curious! I had to do a project for my philanthropy class raising awareness for a cause. I chose preventing texting while driving. What causes are you passionate about?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: What are you passionate about?

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Comprehensive sex education starting no later than middle school, young women being encouraged to get a higher education, the legitimization of the role of fatherhood (including paternal leave from work and more support for stay-at-home and single fathers) equality for women in the LDS church, fighting against rape culture, teaching women about consent and to take control of their bodies (including not having society's standards of either beauty or modesty forced on them), mental health awareness and acceptance, LGBTQ rights and the legalization of same-sex marriage... take your pick, I've got more!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Linguistic prescriptivism. (To be clear, I'm generally against it.)
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Agency.

I believe no law should restrict one person's agency, unless acting on that agency restrict's another agency. Murder, drinking and driving, and assault all take away agency of someone else. Even a basic lie can take away someone's agency. However, someone else choosing to smoke, drink, or get married (despite gender) does not take away another person's agency. Basically, I'm of the mindset that you can do whatever you like with your life until it affects mine and vice versa.

Vaccines.

I hate that people still quote the autism study, and that people trust mommy-bloggers more than their own doctors. Too many people think it only affects them or their own children, when the consequences of not vaccinating affect thousands of people, especially those with weakened immune systems. I knew someone undergoing Chemo and they were prescribed a drug that is usually meant to combat anthrax if they got any type of illness or infection, even something as simple as a cold or flu would require them to take this drug. Whether or not people believe that being unvaccinated causes outbreaks like with measles, they still blindly ignore that vaccines have immense benefits for the individual. If people do the actual research, and use accurate data from resources like the CDC, and not anecdotal evidence from your cousin's best friend's mission companion, then they will see that they can be extremely beneficial. This said, I do think it is appropriate to treat each vaccine on a case by case basis and make individual decisions based on your own medical history and the risks. Anybody who is all for or all against vaccines needs to do more research.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Arts education

More cultural support for being well educated

Real immigration reform

Real healthcare reform

Providing better services to people in low income/ poverty stricken households
beautiful, dirty, rich
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Funding for substance use disorder and early intervention programs.

Music education.

The arts, including independent film, art, and music.

Mental illness awareness and affordable treatment.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The complete discography of Ben Gibbard.

Good pizza.

Scott Fitzgerald.

Having no dirty dishes in the sink, ever.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

You guys are awesome. The only things I think I'm legitimately passionate about are animals (animal welfare, animal husbandry, having lots of animals and petting them all the time), desserts, and protecting my own free time.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Eirene wrote:You guys are awesome. The only things I think I'm legitimately passionate about are animals (animal welfare, animal husbandry, having lots of animals and petting them all the time), desserts, and protecting my own free time.
These sound like really awesome things to be passionate about. I am passionate about stopping the car EVERY SINGLE TIME I see a doggie running around outside to see if I can find his owner. Marx calls this my Superman Complex.