Genetic Mutations

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Genetic Mutations

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I'm writing up a game of Werewolf (or Mafia), and the premise for my story is that every character/player has a genetic mutation or mental disorder that causes a change in their playstyle.

(Aside: The game of Werewolf, if you don't know, is basically the idea of the uninformed majority trying to root out the informed minority. A team of werewolves knows who each other are and they have the ability to attack any player during each "night time" cycle. The players all talk on a forum. The innocent town folk decide an execution target each day and try to kill the wolves before the wolves kill them all. The townies don't know who the wolves are to start, but have powers like dreaming or tracking to use to figure things out about the other players. This is my first time hosting, but I've played quite a lot on this particular site, so I really want to do a good job.)

I'm running out of ideas for mutations and disorders. The game could have upwards of twenty people and I only really have 10 to 12 roles figured out. What are some disorders that you can think of that would have fun side-effects? For example, I have an anorexic wolf who, while he tells me who he wants to attack never does damage. And on the other side, I have an innocent who is a homicidal maniac. If they die, they will kill someone else as well. I'd like to mix some more clearly genetic mutations in, if possible.

I'm asking here and not on the main Board because I'd like to keep the conversation open as I develop things and get more insights. Also, if anyone wants to get a better idea of how the game works, one is starting up tomorrow and I can link you to it so you can read through a bit. My game will probably run early in September. Maybe the end of August.
Last edited by SmurfBlueSnuggie on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Dead Cat
Completed

Re: Genetic Mutations

Post by Dead Cat »

First, is that supposed to be "uninformed" instead of "uniformed"? Watch those n's!

And now random ideas:
An innocent who is blind in one eye and thus their involvement in accusations will shift it one person to the right (or whose name is next in the alphabet or whatever)
A pregnant wolf that has to eat for two, so they get a double kill
A Schrodinger's wolf that has a fifty-fifty chance of existing each round, with existing meaning that they can attack and not existing meaning they can't get accused
An innocent who scryes their daily alphabet soup that can find out a random letter of two random wolves' names each round
The innocent mortician who gets a list of the dead every turn, along with knowledge of whether each dead person was innocent or wolf and what their ability was
The infant wolf who cannot kill or be killed due to Infant Immortality, until four rounds have passed and they have mysteriously grown up to be a normal, killable wolf
The suicidal innocent who must confess to a murder every round
The love-hungry wolf who can't kill people of the opposite sex unless they have accused this wolf directly
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Re: Genetic Mutations

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Haha! Yes. Uninformed. This is what I get for typing after midnight. :p Fixed now!

LOVE the alphabet soup innocent!
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.