Baking with Coffee

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Baking with Coffee

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78871/

I bake with espresso occasionally. A few things:

1. Baking/cooking only gets rid of some of the alcohol. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me there ends up being less alcohol in something that called for a cup of wine than coffee in a cake that called for one teaspoon of espresso powder. (In both cases, though, my personal opinion is that it's negligible.)

2. Depending on the brand, there's about 1/4 tsp salt in a stick of salted butter. Last time I had to use two sticks of salted butter in the place of unsalted, I could definitely taste the difference. That's only a 1/2 tsp of salt. Don't give me any of this "you won't miss only a teaspoon!" crap.

3. The espresso (which is bitter) is there to make the chocolate taste more complex. If you really, really must substitute, make sure you're using something that will do that job. Extra cocoa powder will not and might actually detract. Boiling water is absolutely ludicrous.

/bob being too passionate about baking
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Concorde

Re: Baking with Coffee

Post by Concorde »

Yeah, I wouldn't really trust the baking advice and opinions of someone who regularly enjoys pizza Lunchables and Uncrustables...

It's still a personal decision as to whether or not you think eating small amounts of espresso violates the WoW but either way, I prefer my chocolate sickeningly sweet, so sans coffee.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yeah, suggesting that somehow boiling water would substitute for the coffee, in anything, is ridiculous.

Also, on the whole "the alcohol bakes out" thing, that's a myth. Some alcohol always remains.
Deus ab veritas
Violet

Post by Violet »

Something that technically breaks the word of wisdom for flavor purposes? And less than a teaspoon? I'm sure you already do that with vanilla. If you go the "avoid alcohol altogether" route, you would have no flavor extracts. Honestly, if there's a reasonable substitution (the pero or postum seemed closest to the intent of the espresso powder), and you're happier with that, great. But don't feel guilty if you choose to use the espresso powder.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Violet wrote: If you go the "avoid alcohol altogether" route, you would have no flavor extracts.
This is off topic, but... I had a roommate who was incapable of sleeping with any sort of light or noise going on in the apartment. It was a big no no to open the fridge, use the microwave, have a light on in the living room, have your computer brightness above the lowest setting, or have any type of conversation with roommates that wasn't sign language. I suggested to her that Zzz-Quil would be good to try. She refused because it has alcohol in it. I pointed out vanilla extract has alcohol and how the pill form doesn't have alcohol. She still never tried it.

Worst semester/roommate ever.

Sorry, just had to rant a little.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

Mmmmmmm espresso ...

Waitin' on that dispensation.

I certainly don't think people should feel "guilty" for something so trivially ridiculous, but I also think it's kind of a sign of cognitive dissonance if you're, like, "well, it doesn't count." Yeah, it does. And it's not evil. Own your choices.