#79303 - Men in skirts

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#79303 - Men in skirts

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/79303/
The Soulful Ginger wrote:Women are just sometimes crazy and feel like they need to make a big deal about wearing dress pants to church.
Don't forget, when women want to express their feelings about a institution or participate in a movement to show solidarity with their sisters, it's because they're insane. (But the men who sent actual death threats to the women involved? That's totally fine. Definitely not a sign of mental instability.)

Honestly, no one gaslights women better than other women.
Portia

Re: #79303 - Men in skirts

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:Honestly, no one gaslights women better than other women.
Can you crochet this for me? Knit? Cross-stitch?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Oh, apparently Bob already reacted to TSG's comment here, but since it's a response to a specific Board question, I'm going to leave my post here in Reader Response.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:
Katya wrote:Honestly, no one gaslights women better than other women.
Can you crochet this for me? Knit? Cross-stitch?
Ha! I actually did used to cross-stitch, but I haven't touched a project in ages.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I actually really like the idea of wearing cultural "skirts" to church, but I see even that as a form of protest. The LDS church is super white-and-Western-centric in what it considers to be "Sunday best." I like the idea of being subversive and contrary in my dress style, making my very appearance a protest to your preconceived notions.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Katya wrote:Oh, apparently Bob already reacted to TSG's comment here, but since it's a response to a specific Board question, I'm going to leave my post here in Reader Response.
I only didn't start a thread because I feel like I do that too much and maybe if I put it in the rants I wouldn't obsess about it.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I wore a kilt to church once or twice. Also to school once or twice. Pretty sure I didn't receive any death threats at church, but could have at school. The admiring glances I got from some of the girls made it totally worth it, however.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I know that as a Scottish American I'm not exactly a cultural/oppressed minority - I do wonder if just randomly wearing a kilt is a form of cultural appropriation? I feel like wearing a lavalava would be kind of odd if you had no connection to the South Pacific.

Kilts are cool though. And a guy in the caber toss was Japanese. Appropriate away, I say ...
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Portia wrote:I know that as a Scottish American I'm not exactly a cultural/oppressed minority - I do wonder if just randomly wearing a kilt is a form of cultural appropriation? I feel like wearing a lavalava would be kind of odd if you had no connection to the South Pacific.
I saw an African man at the DMV wearing a loose formal robe that looked so comfortable. Perhaps it was a boubou? I really wish I could wear one without offending anybody.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yarjka wrote:
Portia wrote:I know that as a Scottish American I'm not exactly a cultural/oppressed minority - I do wonder if just randomly wearing a kilt is a form of cultural appropriation? I feel like wearing a lavalava would be kind of odd if you had no connection to the South Pacific.
I saw an African man at the DMV wearing a loose formal robe that looked so comfortable. Perhaps it was a boubou? I really wish I could wear one without offending anybody.
You could wear a bathrobe stolen from a high-end hotel?