post-pregnancy weight gain

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

post-pregnancy weight gain

Post by Portia »

So I did some research, and while this level of weight gain may indeed be "normal" (as in typical) it doesn't appear to be ideal. WebMD as well as most other sites put the recommended amount at 25-35 (it was 15-25 a couple of generations back, and women started out thinner to begin with).

I stress out about this a lot, because my own mother was very thin (about 5'6" and 120) when she was young, barely gained a pound with me, then at my age, got pregnant with my brother and ballooned up to probably about a size 16, and didn't ever lose it til she got ill. (So yeah, obviously being thin does not equal being "healthy," always.) I know it did a number on her self-esteem: I own essentially no photos of her during a 25 year span. And 185 at 5'6" (taller than average) is on the border of overweight/obese.

What's done is done, but I know that if I ever get pregnant, I am regaling my doctor with instructions that I'd rather limit my weight gain to a manageable level rather than have to undergo some heroic effort later. I myself am not too thin or tall (about 135 and 5'4"), but I'm happy with how I look and would very much like to stay that way pre-menopause, at least, in a +-10-lb range. Twenty-five years of crap self-esteem seems like a viable medical concern, I guess. (And I lack my grandmother's neurotic commitment to being too thin to donate blood and eating dessert, like, quarterly. Ha.)
Whistler

Re: post-pregnancy weight gain

Post by Whistler »

also, this is a common misconception, but breastfeeding isn't a "good way to lose weight." It's a good way to require extra calories (I'm not dieting, but sometimes I don't eat enough and I get dizzy from that way faster now that I'm breastfeeding). Some women find that the hormones associated with breastfeeding make it more difficult to lose weight. (but your answer sounded very compassionate Concorde!)

I'm not really back to my ridicu-skinny pre-pregnancy weight, and I'm okay with that. I'm at a healthy weight right now... but none of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit! I hate buying new clothes! So I think part of what makes pregnancy weight-gain harder is that there's a question of "oh, maybe I don't need to buy new clothes because my body will suddenly change back soon." Or maybe that's just my experience, but I think it's worth it to have clothes that fit, that aren't pregnancy clothes, because yes, you can have a waistline again now that you're not pregnant.

Depending on how old the questioner's baby is, I'd want to know why she feels like she has no time. I guess in the first month or two the sleep deprivation and hormones will make you feel really helpless. But it gets better (or if it doesn't you should talk to a doctor). Also, there are ways you can exercise even if you feel like you have to be with your baby all the time. I really like going for walks, and it was SO nice to get my abdominal muscles back. For me I've had the goal of being able to walk/hike while carrying my baby, so that helped with my motivation.
Concorde

Re: post-pregnancy weight gain

Post by Concorde »

My answers can either be factually correct or really empathetic-- you don't get both for free. ;)