NaNoWriMo 2014

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

mic0

NaNoWriMo 2014

Post by mic0 »

Anybody planning to participate this year? (Link to question.)

I have four short story ideas for a project I am tentatively calling "Adventures in Linguistics." :D Don't want to give anything else away, especially if I utterly fail. This is the first year since high school that I have the time to dedicate to this and I'm excited, though, like yayfulness, I haven't written anything besides really short stuff in quite some time.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: NaNoWriMo 2014

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I think I'm going to try despite having so much else to also do with my life. I miss writing. I'll probably revive an old idea that hasn't been NaNo-ed yet.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

To keep it less stressful, I'm mostly focusing on just writing a few short stories that I've had in my head for a while rather than strictly writing 50k words. Something to consider? I miss writing (for fun), toooo. Good luck to you! :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

My boyfriend's doing it. I have an essay to write ASAP, so I might try to write and polish that over the next two weeks, then tackle a middle-grade novel I started a year ago and still think is a solid story idea.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

I am for the first time! I'm working on a YA novel tentatively titled The Willow Street Home for Physically and Psychologically Disabled Children.
I don't like the title but I had to come up with something! If anyone wanted to read it and give suggestions I would definitely be open to it and extremely grateful! It started as a couple short stories that I decided to turn into one bigger, connected work, so my main concerns are character relationships and flow.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Cool, I'm excited you all are trying! Are any of you on the nanowrimo website? I'd like to add you if you're into that sort of thing.

anglophile - that is a nice title, gives a sense of grandeur. :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I'm bobtheenchantedone, predictably.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

You know what, I have no idea how I didn't realize that would be your username. OF COURSE. I'm RedInsanity, it was a username I came up with in high school. :P
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Today I came across the NaNoWriMo Bingo Card generator. Pretty funny!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Nano is causing me to make the weirdest typos and sentences. Herself == herselve. Maybe by the end of the month I'll at least know how to type.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Yeah, I discover so many weird typing quirks during each NaNo. This year I have a main character named Hazel who I am constantly misspelling as Hzael.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Oddly enough for someone who claims to want to be a writer, I find the process of writing to be somewhat torturous. Hence my wanting to get a more marketable degree so it can be a hobby rather than a live-or-die thing.

I think I'd like to try playwriting or scriptwriting. The novel doesn't have the reach it used to.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:Oddly enough for someone who claims to want to be a writer, I find the process of writing to be somewhat torturous.
I don't think I know any writers who don't find at least some part of the writing process torturous.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:Oddly enough for someone who claims to want to be a writer, I find the process of writing to be somewhat torturous.
I don't think I know any writers who don't find at least some part of the writing process torturous.
Haha, fair enough. :-)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I've written 5,000 words today, bringing me up to more than 28,000.

I also realized that I'll be writing "the end" within the next couple of days.

Mixed feelings.