Engagement ring Board question

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Zedability

Engagement ring Board question

Post by Zedability »

So I just want a bit of help with a Board question...could any of you who have ever been engaged or married answer this anonymous survey about how much the ring was?
mic0

Re: Engagement ring Board question

Post by mic0 »

Where's the option for my husband won't tell me??
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Get him to submit it? It's anonymous. You won't even be able to see it :)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'll send it to him. :D Obviously I don't know the Board question, but it might be interesting to also find out (in general) how often the engaged couple buys the ring together (and each have input, etc.) versus one person buys it secretly.

ETA: All remaining mystery in my marriage is now gone, as he told me the price range of my 4 year old engagement ring.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I answered less than $200, but you have to remember that I bought it used in 1973. And I was a poor, struggling student. My wife has always loved the ring, however.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Does it make a difference if the engagement ring also ended up acting as the wedding ring?
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

How much the ring is worth and how much he spent are two totally different numbers. You can apparently get a pretty good discount if you walk in there with cold hard cash.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

vorpal blade wrote:I answered less than $200, but you have to remember that I bought it used in 1973. And I was a poor, struggling student. My wife has always loved the ring, however.
Well, $200 in 1973 is roughly $1000 in today's money.

My dad has a simple gold band with a bunch of overlapping circles on it, and when we asked our mom why she picked that design she said she didn't. She initially picked out one that was similar, but with triangles, and my dad immediately said he didn't like it and went and exchanged it. We thought that sounded kind of rude, but he pointed out that if he's the one who has to wear it for 60 years, he should get something he likes. So I'm always curious about people who surprise their intendeds with a ring, because I think the sensible thing is to propose without a ring and then go pick out rings together.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Some people just aren't sensible. :O

(As for Mr. Mico, I think he just thought it was romantic. *shrug* It wasn't particularly important to me, so whatever made him happy.)
Amity

Post by Amity »

I like your dad's practicality, GA. I have really particular tastes, so I can't imagine not having any input on my engagement ring. My boyfriend and I are ring shopping right now and our plan is to pick out and buy a ring together and then he'll propose with it. Sure, it's not the most romantic thing in the world, but it's what works best for both of us.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

My husband surprised me with my engagement ring, but I had given him general input on my preferences. We chose our wedding bands together.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Amity wrote:I like your dad's practicality, GA. I have really particular tastes, so I can't imagine not having any input on my engagement ring. My boyfriend and I are ring shopping right now and our plan is to pick out and buy a ring together and then he'll propose with it. Sure, it's not the most romantic thing in the world, but it's what works best for both of us.
This is what we did, too.