#79858—In Which Concorde Almost Made Me Cry

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

the anglophile

#79858—In Which Concorde Almost Made Me Cry

Post by the anglophile »

I really appreciate the answers given in this question. I can't believe someone would do something so rude, first to Yay, then to Concorde. I really want to know what was going through his/her mind when writing this question. And, why Concorde of all people? I never even noticed her mention her boyfriend, really. Her response was very powerful and very well thought-out. If only both parties could have been as mature! :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: #79858—In Which Concorde Almost Made Me Cry

Post by Katya »

A plague on the house of that mean reader!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'd imagine the person asking the question thought something like "Concorde has often talked about being single, now she has a boyfriend and has mentioned it a few times, wouldn't it be funny to post this?" I didn't really see it as malicious, and I'm glad the writers recognized that possibility. Obviously we never know what is going to offend someone (I can be perfectly happy one minute and crying the next, see my second-to-last rant on the rant page), but I just really can't imagine that either of these questions with the xkcd comment were actually trying to be mean/rude.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

I was willing to entertain that thought, but I still don't find it to be funny. I find it terribly interesting, however, that the question was asked twice by the same person, to different writers. It makes the question come off as more malicious than what you suggested. Also the "Humbug" thing is more conducive to a bitter questioner than one trying to be lighthearted.

If it was more of a lighthearted thing, there are ways that it could have been phrased better (and if the questioner has asked this question before, they're certainly aware of it) to come across that way.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Still, I think it is hard to tell if someone is trying to be malicious or not through a question as short as that. Definitely agree it could have been phrased better (c'mon, throw in a smiley at the end and people will realize they are at least trying to joke around).
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Also, obviously, answer whatever way you want. :D It was written to you, and you are the Board writer, so it is your perogative. I'm just giving my unsolicited opinion over here.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Hah, no, you have a fair point. I got over it relatively quickly. Literally, by the time I finished the answer I was like "Okay, over it. Time to go clean out that black widow cage." I did get a nice response for some readers over e-mail and here, so that gave me some warm fuzzies as well. Overall, regardless of questioner intent the effect was net positive.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Someone please make a "clean that black widow cage" meme.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

By the way, Concorde, I am really delighted that you have a boyfriend. I think that is wonderful, and I feel happy when I think of your happiness. Feel free to write about it as often as you want.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Haha thanks. I was reallllly tempted after that question came in to be really obnoxious and then mention him in literally every answer, but then I realized that I would end up driving myself nuts first.