#79879 - work/life balance

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

#79879 - work/life balance

Post by Portia »

Well this is easy. Retire in eight years. EIGHT YEARS?! To still have my health and have a good fifty years ahead of me. Yeah, I'd pull eight years of sleepless nights if that were a guaranteed proposition. I can't even imagine how attractive that'd be to the kind of guy I'd want to build a family with. "So, remember me? Well, the sales of my books/screenplays/ill-gotten-gains have made me wealthy beyond all dreams of avarice. Here are the keys to the lake house." And for the fertility-minded people, 34-38 is not especially old to have a child, and if I was set on doing it during the hell years, well, poor people do that all the time without the nanny/househusband I'd be hypothetically able to afford. ... I don't actually think this is likely (I'll probably spend my middle years teaching composition at BFE State or something), but it is a fun scenario to ponder. I'd like to think I'd spend my retirement making more awesome stuff, though, and cashing in on the network that I've obviously built up in alterna-verse, whether for my own benefit or the common weal.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: #79879 - work/life balance

Post by NerdGirl »

Haha, yeah. I'm 32. I pick option A.